Charter cable tv tuner - cablecard?

mgramm

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013
Hello,
I need to upgrade my computer. It has been over 5 years (2007) since I researched the requirements to have HD tv channels from my cable company run through my computer. Do I still need a CableCard? Is ATI TV Wonder still the only viable option with CableCard technology?

Solution
Yes, you still need a cablecard to run HD Encrypted channels from your cable company to your PC. No. There are several TV Tuner Card/CableCard solutions available now.

1) ATI TV Wonder (as I recall was only available in custom build systems)
2) Ceton InfiniTV4 USB/PCI-E (I've successfully used the PCI-E version with Comcast for 18 months now)
3) SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime
4) Hauppauge WinTV-DCR-2650
Yes, you still need a cablecard to run HD Encrypted channels from your cable company to your PC. No. There are several TV Tuner Card/CableCard solutions available now.

1) ATI TV Wonder (as I recall was only available in custom build systems)
2) Ceton InfiniTV4 USB/PCI-E (I've successfully used the PCI-E version with Comcast for 18 months now)
3) SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime
4) Hauppauge WinTV-DCR-2650

Solution

brisa117

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Hey Mgramm,

I've been running a standard dual tuner from Hauppauge for a few years now and have been thinking about upgrading to a full blown cablecard receiver like the InfiniTV4. Anyways, I also have Charter and was just wondering if you had a hard time getting a card from them and if you've noticed any problems (missing channels, etc). I'm not worried about being able to order movies or anything. I'm mainly wanting to be able to DVR HD channels in my HTPC.

Thanks in advance,
Brisa