Cheap low quality HDMI cable mess up TV's input?

cosmoji

Estimable
Aug 7, 2015
not that i've heard of. you do not need to spend the 100 bucks the guy at best buy tells you is the best cable you can get. i spent 10 bucks on a 15 foot cable to run to my tv and its just fine.

digital signals like hdmi do not suffer from signal loss through poor shielding and interference. they're transmitting 1s and 0s, not an analogue signal which can be degraded by similar nearby wavelengths.

could you explain your issue in some more detail?

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
I was advised by someone I know not to buy a cheap HDMI cable, as they claim they bought a $2 cable online, and after hooking up the cable to their TV and cable box the picture was blurry and the input selection on their TV malfunction to where it would randomly switch inputs. I didn't think it was possible for a HDMI cable to cause blurry picture.

cosmoji

Estimable
Aug 7, 2015
well i dont know about that. maybe the connector on the end was bad? but i think like $10-15 is acceptable for an hdmi cable. but i'd rather take the risk of a crappy $2 cable, realize it doesnt work for some reason and go buy a $10-15 cable. i'd only be spending a total of 17 tops then. better than KNOWING im overpaying on a $60-100 cable.