Clean Install Windows 10 on Asus X550LC with new SSD

kokhoong0624

Estimable
Feb 1, 2016
I would want to clean install Windows 10 on my Asus which is running Windows 8.1 now. I am getting my SSD a few days later.
Can I know how can I do a clean installation(with detailed instructions?) .__.
Or should I upgrade my Asus to Windows 10, clone it with Samsung Data Migration, and then reset it again?
Any help is appreciated!

Solution

Note: Microsoft has now made it possible clean install Windows 10 WITHOUT UPGRADING FIRST and you can enter your Windows 8.1 Product Key upon installation of Windows 10

A couple of tips before you start:

1) Make sure you read and re-read this before starting anything - if you are unsure....DO NOT PROCEED AND SEEK FURTHER ADVICE

2) Make sure you have a recovery image of Windows 8.1...

kokhoong0624

Estimable
Feb 1, 2016

I can upgrade Windows 10 directly from my laptop... using the Windows 10 installer
How to do a clean install?

Cloudy1

Honorable
Jan 21, 2016

Note: Microsoft has now made it possible clean install Windows 10 WITHOUT UPGRADING FIRST and you can enter your Windows 8.1 Product Key upon installation of Windows 10

A couple of tips before you start:

1) Make sure you read and re-read this before starting anything - if you are unsure....DO NOT PROCEED AND SEEK FURTHER ADVICE

2) Make sure you have a recovery image of Windows 8.1 which you should already have made - I suggest looking on YouTube for how to use Macrium Reflect Free

SUGGESTED LINK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWM79HCzdDA

3) If you didn't buy a retail license of Windows 8.1 and do not have a COA sticker then your Windows 8.1 key is embedded in BIOS - retrieve it, write it down and store it in a safe place by typing (or copy and pasting) the following in an elevated Command Prompt:

wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey

REPEAT IN RELATION TO WINDOWS 8.1 KEY: retrieve it, write it down and store it in a safe place!!!

4) Go to the ASUS Support website for your country -> Enter the model of your computer -> Select Drivers and Tools -> Select Windows 8.1 -> Download all available drivers and back them up to a USB memory stick or an appropriately named folder on an external hard drive in case you ever need them again

5) While at the ASUS Support website check for any information relating to your model and it's compatibility or any issue/s others with the same model as you may be facing (maybe ask a question at the ASUS forums) but also, and in particular, check that you can get drivers for Windows 10 for that particular model

Now onto Windows 10.....

1) Download Windows 10 Media Creation Tool from here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10

2) After downloading the Media Creation Tool, whilst on the same page click the + button to expand the section "Perform a clean installation using a USB or DVD"

Note: Under this section and as stated by Microsoft....

If you haven’t upgraded to Windows 10 yet and perform a clean installation, you’ll need to enter a qualifying product key for Windows 7, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10, or buy a licence in order to activate Windows 10

SIDENOTE 1: This is why you MUST extract your product key to clean install without first upgrading

SIDENOTE 2: Do NOT look under Control Panel -> System for your Product Key as Product ID and Product Key are NOT the same thing

3) Ensure that you understand only to download the matching version (Example: 32 bit -> 32 bit & Windows 8.1 Pro -> Windows 10 Pro. Equivalence of versions can be checked here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/windows/Windows-10-specifications#upgrade

4) Now follow steps 1 - 14 under the "Perform a clean installation....." section

Note: At step 9 enter your Windows 8.1 Product Key

After Installation of Windows 10

1) Make sure that everything seems to be running smoothly and check the Device Manager for errors

2) Install any required Windows 10 drivers (as downloaded and saved earlier from the ASUS website)

3) Create a FULL BACKUP of ANY / ALL PARTITIONS and if you have a large capacity external hard drive to backup to then create a CLONE image (Again: I suggest learning to use Macrium Reflect and in regards to this, also make sure you create a bootable Macrium WinPE rescue USB)

FINAL NOTE: If you are going to transfer the image from the current drive to the new SSD, be sure that the new SSD is AT LEAST THE SAME or larger storage capacity or you will encounter problems.

I hope this is detailed enough for you - all the best in your adventure :)

Solution

kokhoong0624

Estimable
Feb 1, 2016

Thank you very much! I would try out as soon as I get the SSD!

Cloudy1

Honorable
Jan 21, 2016
I would like to stress a couple more points here....

If you intend on having two drives in the machine, that is the new SSD with the OS and the old drive as a DATA drive, make sure to remove the old drive PRIOR to OS INSTALL on SSD.

After installation, double check in the UEFI "BIOS" that the SSD is set as first drive to boot.

You can then place the old drive back in and proceed to boot Win 10 from the SSD and see if you can format the old drive through Windows Disk Management utility.

If this doesn't work, you may need to use GParted or a similar Linux live boot disk to format to NTFS and then return to Disk Management to assign a volume.

And you're welcome - good luck.