College animation/editing laptop? Have a good budget, but already own powerhouse desktop.

JaccoBacco

Prominent
Apr 13, 2017
TL;DR below.

Heyo, looking for a decent laptop for college. I'm going for an animation major to disappoint my parents, I can't really find any guides that fit my exact situation. I'd like a medium 15" to 13" laptop for animating/modeling in Maya. I also make videos with friends so I edit frequently with Premier Pro and Photoshop. Now I know there are thousands of lists online that help with exactly this, but my situation is a little different.

I already have a powerhouse desktop for rendering anything, that's not a problem, but almost every guide is for laptops that can render. I don't need a gaming laptop, I just want to be able to work on it while in class/out and about. I don't need any powerful razor core external desktop GPU. I don't need the lightest of the light, but around 4 LB or less would be amazing if it exists. I want something that will not break down in 4 years and would age relatively well, so 16 gigs of DDR4 is almost a must. Build quality is also a pretty big thing for me. GPU is a meh unless it's really necessary while working.

Anyone have any idea what I should get? I looked at the Macbook Pro, but am really seeing a lot of cons, would have to get a 15" and that price isn't pretty for the payoff, but still considering. Also looked at the HP Specter x360, Dell XPS 13 - 15(So many, just want a clear list), Razor Stealth/Blade, and a little bit of the ASUS Zenbook. Also the Surface 4 / Book, but friends have advised against. Any advice is hugely appreciated.

Budget isn't a huge problem, got a good scholarship and a year of delivering pizzas in the bank.

TL;DR: Read the title ya duck. Looking for a laptop to last me 4 years in college animating and doing unemployable art stuff.

Particlez

Prominent
Apr 13, 2017
have you tried google? I found a pretty good site with budget laptops for animations. I think as long as you have a graphics card (faily recent) you'll be just fine since you'll be using your school's or your own computer for the rendering.

Particlez

Prominent
Apr 13, 2017
have you tried google? I found a pretty good site with budget laptops for animations. I think as long as you have a graphics card (faily recent) you'll be just fine since you'll be using your school's or your own computer for the rendering.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
marsmann11 Laptop General Discussion 1
G Laptop General Discussion 0
R Laptop General Discussion 2
rhyalus Laptop General Discussion 2
D Laptop General Discussion 2
JakoBone29 Laptop General Discussion 1
K Laptop General Discussion 0
Nordstrom Laptop General Discussion 14
N Laptop General Discussion 3
S Laptop General Discussion 1
P Laptop General Discussion 1