College animation/editing laptop? Have a good budget, but already own powerhouse desktop.

JaccoBacco

Prominent
Apr 13, 2017
TL;DR below.

Heyo, looking for a decent laptop for college. I'm going for an animation major to disappoint my parents, I can't really find any guides that fit my exact situation. I'd like a medium 15" to 13" laptop for animating/modeling in Maya. I also make videos with friends so I edit frequently with Premier Pro and Photoshop. Now I know there are thousands of lists online that help with exactly this, but my situation is a little different.

I already have a powerhouse desktop for rendering anything, that's not a problem, but almost every guide is for laptops that can render. I don't need a gaming laptop, I just want to be able to work on it while in class/out and about. I don't need any powerful razor core external desktop GPU. I don't need the lightest of the light, but around 4 LB or less would be amazing if it exists. I want something that will not break down in 4 years and would age relatively well, so 16 gigs of DDR4 is almost a must. Build quality is also a pretty big thing for me. GPU is a meh unless it's really necessary while working.

Anyone have any idea what I should get? I looked at the Macbook Pro, but am really seeing a lot of cons, would have to get a 15" and that price isn't pretty for the payoff, but still considering. Also looked at the HP Specter x360, Dell XPS 13 - 15(So many, just want a clear list), Razor Stealth/Blade, and a little bit of the ASUS Zenbook. Also the Surface 4 / Book, but friends have advised against. Any advice is hugely appreciated.

Budget isn't a huge problem, got a good scholarship and a year of delivering pizzas in the bank.

TL;DR: Read the title ya duck. Looking for a laptop to last me 4 years in college animating and doing unemployable art stuff.

Solution
have you tried google? I found a pretty good site with budget laptops for animations. I think as long as you have a graphics card (faily recent) you'll be just fine since you'll be using your school's or your own computer for the rendering.

Particlez

Prominent
Apr 13, 2017
have you tried google? I found a pretty good site with budget laptops for animations. I think as long as you have a graphics card (faily recent) you'll be just fine since you'll be using your school's or your own computer for the rendering.

Solution