ncm613

Estimable
Dec 1, 2014
Summary: just looking for a thin, under 5.5lb notebook for some light occasional gaming, and fast performance and productivity for college work. Doing a lot of web browsing, movie/video watching(Netflix, youtube, etc.) I have been looking at Lenovo Y50, ThinkPad T440s, MSi GE/GS 60, Samsung ATIV Book 9 Plus, and MacBook Pro is sort of an "I give up option."

1) What is your budget? $1,200 --> $1300 MAXIMUM

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen - Most Preferred
d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen- sort of open to 15.6. no bigger.

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.

United States

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: HP (past user) Lenovo, open to suggestions
b. Dislike: none - but prefer a brand that is reliable and proven.

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? No

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook? Web browsing/video watching--College work primarily(research, essay, spreadsheets, PowerPoint), light gaming (mmo/rpgs, nothing too intense)

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? I will be taking it to class, friends houses, and also a lot of desk use.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games? Games like Neverwinter, runescape, some FPS. Light games.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? Battery life is not the most important thing, so 6-7 is great 5-6 is ideal.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? Online is fine.

11) What OS do you prefer? Prefer Windows, fine with Mac OSX.

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. Click here for Screen resolution information. 1920x1080

13) Do you want a Glossy/reflective screen or a Matte/non-glossy screen? Matte

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? Somewhat, not too important. Don't want a brick of a laptop.

15) When are you buying this laptop? Within the next month

16) How long do you want this laptop to last? 2-4 years

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive? 500gb HDD is Fine. SDD size recommendations? I was thinking 8GB since I won't be doing all that much gaming

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner? No.

Solution
He is not a 'gamer', and says nothing about 'Blu-Ray' :sarcastic:

HP Elitebook 725 G2: $1,250
AMD A10 Pro-7350B Kaveri APU
Radeon R6 APU Graphics
1920 x 1080
180GB SSD
3.6 lbs
3-year Parts&Labor Warranty

He could likely find it less expensive (and add/subtract options) at Shop HP.

I prefer buying less-expensive models in the low-budget range with conventional HDDs, and cloning the system to an SSD in a USB3 external case. You may then swap out the drives and use the HDD for storage/back-up; and you have a 'clean-clone' of the factory drive for recovery (that you may hide in a blind partition on the HDD).

The OP may not be that 'handy' -- but I did a Dell this past weekend. Removing 1 screw on the back panel exposed the...

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
Yes but a 1 TB HD will cost about the same as a 256 GB SSD. The best of all worlds is a SSD boot drive and a bigger HD for data. get lots of memory for better multitasking.

Your not going to find a laptop in that price range with SSD, good gaming perfomance and Blu Ray burner.

Wisecracker

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
He is not a 'gamer', and says nothing about 'Blu-Ray' :sarcastic:

HP Elitebook 725 G2: $1,250
AMD A10 Pro-7350B Kaveri APU
Radeon R6 APU Graphics
1920 x 1080
180GB SSD
3.6 lbs
3-year Parts&Labor Warranty

He could likely find it less expensive (and add/subtract options) at Shop HP.

I prefer buying less-expensive models in the low-budget range with conventional HDDs, and cloning the system to an SSD in a USB3 external case. You may then swap out the drives and use the HDD for storage/back-up; and you have a 'clean-clone' of the factory drive for recovery (that you may hide in a blind partition on the HDD).

The OP may not be that 'handy' -- but I did a Dell this past weekend. Removing 1 screw on the back panel exposed the internal HDD (now SSD) bay. Whew. That was tough. The Samsung SSD (with FREE cloning tool) now boots to Win 8.1 in 7 seconds.

Solution

Badsu

Estimable
Nov 27, 2014
I would recommend lenovo y50
I7
Nvidia gtx 860m 4gb
512 gb ssd
If you buy from lenovo it is $1250
shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y50/?sb=:000001C9:000120E7:
Though the screen is not so good it can be easily replaced ($100 more) it can work with the original with small monitor calibrations

Badsu

Estimable
Nov 27, 2014
I would recommend lenovo y50
I7
Nvidia gtx 860m 4gb
512 gb ssd
If you buy from lenovo it is $1250
shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y50/?sb=:000001C9:000120E7:
Though the screen is not so good it can be easily replaced ($100 more) it can work with the original with small monitor calibrations