Computer Trojan, confidental / sensitive information

itsonlysmellz

Estimable
Feb 15, 2015
I have a computer which has been badly infected with several viruses and java exploit trojans. Essentially makes the computer almost unusable. Any attempt to open any administratibe tools or programs brings up a windows explorer tab with the programs name asking if you would like to download. Restore and backup are all restricted.

I booted the computer with a Kaspersky disk to scan the computer and ask I suspected there was many infections. I removed them and rebooted the computer but the issues still persist so im assuming their are still viruses on the computer.hAj6c1q.jpgMwgKLzj.jpg

The persons computer is used in their business and its used to store documents and file taxes with. I am currently making a img copy of the hard drive with Clonezilla since these documents are very important. I am going to reinstall a clean copy of Windows 7 home premium on the computer. Now my question is how can I saftley extract these imporant files from the infected HDD copy without reinfecting the clean install? Im not going to personally spend all day going through this persons documents but would like to provide them with a copy of it to do themselves.

If I was to create a folder to put the old image file in on the clean install do you suspect that to cause issues?

hAj6c1q.jpg

Much appreciated.

Solution
If, in the midst of perusing through the infected drive, they happen to open/run an infected file (very likely)....you're right back where you started.
A hosed up system.

Why is this data not backed up somewhere else? Business/tax/confidential.....without a strong backup scenario, that is an irresponsible business owner. (Not you...them)

USAFRet

Illustrious
If, in the midst of perusing through the infected drive, they happen to open/run an infected file (very likely)....you're right back where you started.
A hosed up system.

Why is this data not backed up somewhere else? Business/tax/confidential.....without a strong backup scenario, that is an irresponsible business owner. (Not you...them)

Solution

itsonlysmellz

Estimable
Feb 15, 2015

No idea, but I've got to have this thing ready by tomorrow and plan to work through the night.

The client specifically stated every document in the computer must be kept. Ive noticed many of it to be folders on the desktop with related business/ tax, names etc.

Having the copy is my last step, im currently having issues cloning the drive with Clonezilla since one drive has bad sectors. Trying to make a copy of the original WITH the "bad-sectors" before I attempt to fix the bad-sectors with Clonezilla.

itsonlysmellz

Estimable
Feb 15, 2015
Update:

Installed the HDD on a secondary desktop and am copying all contents with software despite any issues it has.

Going to then use CloneZilla and see if it does its thing properly. Then I can reinstall windows 7.

Then maybe copy an old.windows on her desktop and say "be careful"