Oliver_27

Commendable
Apr 24, 2016
Hey I'm looking to buy a very good quality mic for livestreaming on Twitch.
So background noise will include keyboard mouse and pc fan. I probably can't get it super close to my mouth when I'm playing as you can understand, but I'm buying a mechanical arm, pop filter and shock mount regardless of which mic I get.

Most streamers seem to use condensers so that was my best bet, was thinking the rode nt USB or at2020 USB+, but some say dynamic is better as it reduces the sound of keyboard and mouse but then wouldn't I need it very close to my mouth?

My budget is £225 ish for everything, so roughly £150 for the mic, ideally I want minimal keyboard and mouse sound but also very good speaking sound without necessary having the mic right next to my mouth all the time.

Thanks

Solution
Condenser mics often require a powered line to drive the device (or a battery) and are very sensitive. Dynamic mics are a lot more robust.

Here is a good little overview for you.

https://www.videomaker.com/article/c4/14111-which-is-best-a-dynamic-microphone-or-a-condenser-microphone

I have a Shure SM-58 which is fantastic for voice and super reliable ... but not super sensitive.

For instruments like 12 string guitar etc I use a Samson C03U Condenser mic ... it picks up mosquitos on the wall and is very sensitive.

Based on what your looking for you might need to do a bit of trial and error.

Put some foam in front of the PC to block out the fan noise.
Condenser mics often require a powered line to drive the device (or a battery) and are very sensitive. Dynamic mics are a lot more robust.

Here is a good little overview for you.

https://www.videomaker.com/article/c4/14111-which-is-best-a-dynamic-microphone-or-a-condenser-microphone

I have a Shure SM-58 which is fantastic for voice and super reliable ... but not super sensitive.

For instruments like 12 string guitar etc I use a Samson C03U Condenser mic ... it picks up mosquitos on the wall and is very sensitive.

Based on what your looking for you might need to do a bit of trial and error.

Put some foam in front of the PC to block out the fan noise.

Solution
agreed, it depends on what you are looking for in a mic. a sensitive microphone will bring out all the detail in your voice however may pick up on noises you do not want to hear as well in some cases.

it is important to consider pickup pattern as well. cardioid or unidirectional will pick up from mostly the front only so are great at ignoring sound from the rear.

ideally you want the microphone on a boom near your mouth. use a pop filter (or windscreen) and shock mount. your mouth should be the closest source of sound to the mic, otherwise you may have a risk of other noises being present in your recording.

if you have a mechanical keyboard it will help if you have o-rings installed to limit the noise.

the rode nt usb and at2020usb are great microphones with a nice warm sound signature. using XLR and 48v phantom powered units with a mixer or audio interface will give you more options though and i'd certainly look into it.

in short, condensers will sound more detailed and refined while dynamic may pick up less background noise. of course much depends on the actual microphone!