Wheatly

Estimable
Jul 9, 2015
Opening up an HP notebook and removing the heat sink I see what I think is a CPU (because it has pins) but then I read that AMD E-300 APUs are soldered into the laptop (I do see another chip soldered not too far from what I think is the CPU). I'm a noob with computers but any clarification would help. I checked online but found no feasible answers.

Long story short: I see a chip with pins and I think it's the CPU but I see another chip that looks similar that's soldered onto the motherboard.

Wheatly

Estimable
Jul 9, 2015
Wholesale-Laptop-font-b-Motherboard-b-font-646668-001-for-font-b-HP-b-font-630.jpg

The purple square with pins is what I thought was the CPU (or rather what goes in it) while the square next to it in with red is what's confusing me. I apologize for not knowing the terms too well as I'm still quite new to actually trying to tinker with a computer's inner workings and thank you for commenting! First time using the forum. P.S. I looked online for a photo of a motherboard that happens to be the same as mine so that I don't unnecessarily open mine up again.

Wheatly

Estimable
Jul 9, 2015

HP Notebook 2000 and I looked for one online. I thought the purple square was where the CPU went since it has sockets for pins and I thought CPUs had pins.