Connecting Laptop To Two Moniors - HELP

Jon8

Honorable
Nov 16, 2013
Hello everyone.

I need some expert advise on the above issue so I though there's no better place to ask!

My current set-up is a laptop (docked via docking station), which is connected to a VGA splitter box, which is connected to two external monitors.

I wish to close my laptop and use my two external monitors as an extension (i.e. external monitor 1 - desktop display. External monitor 2 - extended display of monitor), whilst my laptop is closed.

One of the problems I am facing is that when I close my laptop screen, both external monitors switch to be a duplication of each other. i.e. Monitor 1 (desktop display) and Monitor 2 as a duplication of Monitor 1 and not an extension (both external monitors displays a duplicated desktop)

To get around this I have accessed "screen resolution" where it should detect how many displays I have and it only shows the one monitor? (laptop closed with both external monitors working as a duplication of one another). However, when have my laptop is open and I access "screen resolution," I can now detect two monitors. But both external monitors work as a duplication of each other and not independently.

When I have my laptop open, I can use my two external monitors as an extension to my laptop (i.e. Laptop displays my desktop and both external monitors as an extension of the laptop - no desktop on both external monitors)... However, the two external monitors are a duplication of each other and both display my desktop.

Issue 1.

How can I have both external monitors working as an extension (NOT a duplication) of each other when the laptop is closed? i.e. external monitor 1 - desktop display. External monitor 2 - extended display of monitor

Issue 2.

How can I have both external monitors working in a triple extension series to one another, when the laptop is open (if possible)? i.e. laptop displays my desktop. monitor 1 is an extension of laptop screen, and monitor 2 is an extension of monitor 1 (external monitors independent to one another)

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope I haven't gone on with myself too much!

Any help, advise and/or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Jon

The_Prophecy

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
Issue 1:

If you are splitting a VGA signal out to two VGA monitors, you cannot extend the desktop. If you were splitting a DVI signal into two VGA outputs instead, then it would be possible. If you split VGA though, the best you can do is duplication.

Issue 2:

This will work only if you are using a graphics chip in the laptop that actually supports 3 displays. If you post your system specs, we can tell you if this is supported by your hardware.

Jon8

Honorable
Nov 16, 2013
Thank you "The_Prophecy" for your reply, it is much appreciated!

I would have replied sooner myself, but I have been working away.

I'm a little new to all this posting on forums and apologies if I go on with myself a bit!

You completely understand my post and thank you for telling me what I need to know.

I don't think I have any DVI ports on my laptop, docking station, desktop and/or laptop dock.

Are there any "Plug and Go" devices that will allow me to somehow do what I need to do..?

Laptop spec...

Toshiba Portege R700 - 184
Windows 7 Professional
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU, M 560 @ 2.67 GHz
4 GB RAM
32-bit Operating System (64-bit capable)
298 GB total size of hard disk(s) - (C:) 149 GB, (D:) 149 GB
Intel(R) HD Graphics
DirectX 10

Hope this info helps!

Many thanks again for your reply and I hope to hear from you, or somebody else soon.

Best regards.

The_Prophecy

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
While it doesn't appear to have any DVI ports, it does look like you have an HDMI port that can be used. If either of your monitors have either a DVI port, or an HDMI port on them you can connect from the laptop to the screen using that. Either direct via HDMI, or if the monitor has DVI only, there are HDMI to DVI adapters that can be purchased for relatively cheap. Connect the other screen via VGA and then you will be able to extend the desktop across both external (or possibly all 3) screens.