Connecting old projector to hdmi cable box

Jsnyd28

Commendable
Dec 1, 2016
Please bear with me... I don't know much about this stuff.

We have a ten year old projector that has vgi input. The cable leaves the projector, runs through the ceiling and down the wall behind the screen and comes out as the red, blue and green component ends. There sits the cable box, which only has hdmi output. The cable guy told me to get an hdmi to component converter. I bought this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B017LUXQB6/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480647065&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=hdmi+to+component+converter+zamo&dpPl=1&dpID=417xq2HwTqL&ref=plSrch

The projector now says no signal. I can hear the audio coming out of the speakers. What can I do? Is this the right kind of converter?

Thanks for any input.

Solution
Component video and VGA are not the same thing.
Some projectors share the VGA connector for both. Check the menus on the projector. There may be a place to change VGA to YPbPr or component video. That should let you see a picture with the converter you already have.
You will also have to manually set the resolution of the cable box to match the native resolution of the projector. When you use HDMI from end to end this is automatic. The converter negates that so if the cable box is set higher than the projector will accept you would get no picture and maybe an out of range error message from the projector.
If that doesn't work then you need an HDMI to VGA + audio converter and a VGA to female RCA breakout cable...
Component video and VGA are not the same thing.
Some projectors share the VGA connector for both. Check the menus on the projector. There may be a place to change VGA to YPbPr or component video. That should let you see a picture with the converter you already have.
You will also have to manually set the resolution of the cable box to match the native resolution of the projector. When you use HDMI from end to end this is automatic. The converter negates that so if the cable box is set higher than the projector will accept you would get no picture and maybe an out of range error message from the projector.
If that doesn't work then you need an HDMI to VGA + audio converter and a VGA to female RCA breakout cable.
http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/246673-Kramer-C-GM-3RVF-1?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=googleps&st-t=googleshopping-video&vt-k=&vt-mt=&vt-pti=246673&gclid=CPrsrJCe1tACFY5LDQodJwsCCw

Solution