craigy101

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013
- I have a Windows-7 Desktop PC with a video card with 2xdvi outputs (which are connected to a dual monitor setup) as well as a currently-not-in-use onboard VGA output.
- I have a TV with a currently-not-in-use VGA port on the back.

Q: Can I connect the TV to the PC via a VGA cable...bearing in mind the Desktop PC currently outputs to the dual monitors through the graphics card. Ideally i'm looking for an effortless way to switch outputs between monitors 1 minute and TV the next (extended display , duplicate display, 1 at a time - not bothered)

If not possible, what would be the easiest way to display the PC on the TV given that setup.

Thanks.

burdenbound

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
You plug the TV in just like your monitors and disable it from windows resolution settings menu. Keep in mind that VGA will not carry audio, is not as clear as DVI or HDMI, sometimes the quality is fine but it may be a bit fuzzy. Also a lot of TVs will only display a maximum resolution of 1366xsomething with a VGA connection.

So even if you have an HDTV you may not get full 1080p with the VGA connection.

craigy101

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013

Thanks for the reply - The TV is plugged in to the PC, but could you expand on the part where you say ... "and disable it from windows resolution settings menu." - I understand that audio is not carried and that quality may be impaired.

burdenbound

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
So if you are on your computer and you don't want the screen to be extended to your TV (When your not using it) you can right click on the desktop --> screen resolution --> and click on the TV and disable it so it's no longer being used at that time. That way you are not accidentally dragging screens over to the TV when it's not being used and you can just reenable it when you want to use it.

craigy101

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013

I see where you're coming from, though not sure if that way is possible for me. Display settings only detect the two monitors plugged into the video card, not what is plugged into the VGA connection (i.e. the TV) - possibly because the VGA connection is not part of the video card.

burdenbound

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011

Are you actually getting display on the TV by connecting it to the motherboard VGA output?