Connecting Satellite system and Roku to TV and Surround system receiver

acurankur

Estimable
May 15, 2015
Im trying to figure out how to connect my Mitsubishi HD 1080 Series tv to my Yamaha HTR-5730 Surround system so i can listen to anything played on tv to surround. Let me know if my understanding is incorrect, however my main goal is to listen to my satellite channels and roku to TV and my yamaha Surround system.

Solution
There are two options.
1. Connect the Roku and Sat receiver to TV with HDMI and connect the TV to the receiver with whatever audio output the TV has. If it has optical or coax digital out use those and you will get digital surround sound. If it only has analog RCA out then you will only get Prologic surround sound.
2. Connect the Roku and Sat receiver to TV with HDMI. Connect the Sat receiver via digital audio out to the receiver. If your Roku doesn't have separate audio out then you would need an HDMI audio extractor to get an audio output for the receiver. Also digital audio is preferred.
its quite easy to get sound output from those devices to your system, however i'm not sure it will be capable of surround sound on those devices.

your receiver only has analog stereo inputs, coax and optical. now while optical or coax are capable of surround input both the source devices and the receiver would need to support this (which is doubtful).

for stereo only sound you could use the tv's headphone jack or aux stereo out jacks (if it has any) and connect them up. for the roku (depending on model and connections it has) you could either use the analog outputs for l/r channels to the receiver or on hdmi only models you could use a hdmi audio extractor to get these l/r channels.

if you had a receiver capable of hdmi input you would be able to get 5.1 from the roku. depending on the model of roku you have, it might have 5.1 over optical capabilities however the destination device would also need to be capable of 5.1 input over optical as well. not sure what kind of audio outputs your tv has but many do not have 5.1 out, especially older tvs.

in short: stereo sound is easy, surround not so much.

There are two options.
1. Connect the Roku and Sat receiver to TV with HDMI and connect the TV to the receiver with whatever audio output the TV has. If it has optical or coax digital out use those and you will get digital surround sound. If it only has analog RCA out then you will only get Prologic surround sound.
2. Connect the Roku and Sat receiver to TV with HDMI. Connect the Sat receiver via digital audio out to the receiver. If your Roku doesn't have separate audio out then you would need an HDMI audio extractor to get an audio output for the receiver. Also digital audio is preferred.

Solution