Converting smartphone to a microscope and viewing on a computer.

Shannoncarnegie

Estimable
Aug 25, 2014
I'm a preschool teacher. I want to use my cellphone as a microscope while hooked up to my laptop so that what is seen by the phone can be seen instantly, in real time, by a classroom of students on the bigger computer screen. I have a Samsung Galaxy 3 cellphone, and a Dell laptop. I have tried using both a USB cable and an HDMI cable with no luck. I've tried the mirroring option on the phone also with no luck. And I've even tried using my Dell TV screen with no luck. I can take great microscope-type pictures with the phone, and I can download photos from my phone to my computer, but that's not what I want to do in this case. I want the computer screen to see what my phone sees in real time. Any suggestions? Thanks! ~shannon

One inelegant solution I've tried is to use AirDroid. It will do what you said, but you will require an internet connection on both devices, and to be perfectly honest, it's going to lag or stutter a fair bit. I've also only tried it with the regular S3 camera, so I'm unsure of how it would display things on a microscopic level.

dan order

Estimable
Aug 26, 2014
best method for what your trying to do would be a decent webcam with a dynamic stand. cell phones used as webcams for pc generally are not reliable enough for what your describing a life cam 720 or 1080 should be no more then 50-70 bucks and are usually on the smaller side

source similar experimentation with this ideal use.

Shannoncarnegie

Estimable
Aug 25, 2014

Thank you. I'll look into it.