CPU upgrade question Probook 6570b

ctrout

Commendable
Jan 1, 2017
I recently picked up a Probook 6570b as a hackbook project. I got os x Seirra loaded and running on a 240gb SSD and have installed a 1TB HDD in the optical bay. The system board has non-upgradeable Intel HD 4000 graphics but I upgraded to 8GB RAM to help with this. The last possible upgrade would be the CPU.

I have seen plenty of threads on this laptop that have a cut-and-paste list of processor options from the HP website so I know what the manufacturer recommends. The problem is, I want to know what others have tried and what their results were. After all, if I wanted to stick to HP's recommendations, I wouldn't have loaded the Mac OS onto a Windows based laptop.

I have seen similar HP laptops that went from 35w to 45w processors and even i5 dual core to i7 quad core processors but I've never seen anyone post results of attempts to upgrade the 6570b in a similar way. The reason I am looking to upgrade above the recommended CPU performance is because the best processor recommended for this machine is the i7-3540M which is only dual core. This machine is ivy bridge with QM77 chipset and socket G2, all of which will support quad core. I was looking at the low power i7 QM chips to keep the CPU wattage the same but there are only two that will work and they go for over $200 on eBay. If I am able to run a 45w quad core, I'll get better performance at about half the price.

So, has anyone ever tried something like a 3630QM or ideally, a 3840QM chip in one of these Probooks? If so, how were the results? If no, is there an online community that may be better suited to assist with this project?

ctrout

Commendable
Jan 1, 2017
So here is a little added information that I found while researching this project.

The computer that I have (6570b) is covered in the same service manual as the Elitebook 8570p. The manual shows that the Elitebook can accept the whole range of quad core i7 CPUs, up to, and including the i7-3740QM (2.70-GHz processor (SC turbo up to 3.70-GHz; 1600-MHz FSB, 6.0-MB L3 cache, 45 W). The manual also shows that the heat sink is the same for both models. Since the heat sink that I have is therefore sufficient to cool a 45w CPU in the Elitebook, I see no reason to believe that it wouldn't cool the same processor in my 6570b Probook.

Additionally, there is another heat sink listed that is designed to remove the additional heat of a discreet memory GPU. Mine has UMA. I have looked at pictures of both heat sinks and the only difference in them is the addition of the pad that would contact the GPU for the one with discreet memory. I would assume that since they have the same dimensions, this other heat sink being designed to remove the additional heat of the GPU (and the 45w CPU of the Elitebook), would certainly handle the heat of only a 45w CPU.

I guess this leaves me to only two questions. Will the bios in my laptop recognize the i7-3740QM that I would like to install? If not, can I load the bios from the Elitebook to allow my laptop to make use of the processor?

Am I thinking clearly here or am I way off base?

ctrout

Commendable
Jan 1, 2017
That was one of the first things that I did when I got the computer a week ago. I have the latest bios. I also just received an answer to this question which I also posted on the hp support community forums. They say that the limiting factor for this proposed upgrade is the wiring of the board. They said that this board will not under any circumstances run a quad core cpu. I'm kind of bummed about this as I had high hopes.

ctrout

Commendable
Jan 1, 2017
I found about a half dozen 6570b Probooks for sale on ebay with quad core cpus ranging from the 3720QM up to the 3840QM so I guess it's possible. The 3720QM is about 55% faster than what I have currently installed. I could have gained about another 8% by getting the 3840QM but it was another $100 over the cost of the 3720QM so I settled. I'll report my results back once the cpu arrives.

ctrout

Commendable
Jan 1, 2017
Update!!!

The cpu arrived today and I installed it and it is functioning perfectly! Both the bios and windows recognize the chip and report it as i7-3720QM running at 2.6GHz. I know that this is an older laptop and there will probably not be many people wanting to spend money upgrading an old machine but in case they do, I hope that this thread and the other two that I have out there on the web will be of benefit to someone. I would have liked to have used the 3840QM at 2.8GHz with the 8MB L3 cache but The 2.6GHz, 6MB L3, 3720QM was $100 while the faster chip was over $200 and only offers about an 8% performance gain. I determined that for me, the 3720QM was the best bang for my buck.

The 3840QM is the fastest 45watt chip so it is as fast as I would trust going in this particular Probook. As I stated earlier, the heat sink in this machine is the exact same part number as the heat sink in othe HP models that use 45w quad core cpus like the 3840QM so I believe that the temps will be fine.

bogaabogaa

Prominent
Aug 22, 2017
Hello guys I just did something very similar to this, i have a probook 6470b originally with a i5 3210m just upgraded to a i7 3840qm using this as a guide. this is my first time changing a cpu or doing any real pc work but it was all quite simple the i7 3840qm seems to run fine temp wise so far hitting a max of 97 on prime 95 running for a 45 min stress test. once the fans pick up speed it drops to under 90 with a slight noise increase. got the i7 3840qm new on ebay for 95 shipped

trouten_cd

Prominent
Aug 23, 2017
I'm glad to hear that this thread was helpful to someone. When I was doing my upgrade, there was almost nothing out there to guide me or even let me know if it would work. I was working on blind faith.

joshricker410

Prominent
Aug 30, 2017
Just upgraded my 6470b to a 3720qm and at first it would not post, but after removing the bios battery to reset the cmos it fired back up. So anyone having issues with this, make sure to unplug your bios battery for a few secs after you swap the cpus.

lvl1fighters

Prominent
Oct 8, 2017

How is the cpu temps doing? would you recommend the i7 3632qm 35wat instead? or is 45 wat just fine. also what is a bios battery?

joshricker410

Prominent
Aug 30, 2017

The temps are higher than the dual core, but are under control, about 75c under synthetic all core load. The bios battery has just two wires coming out of it going to the motherboard, red and black. I think it's the only two wire connector on the bottom of the laptop. It's accessible with only taking the bottom cover off. Just unplug that and make sure it's unplugged from the wall and no battery for about a min. That will reset your bios.

lvl1fighters

Prominent
Oct 8, 2017
The temps are higher than the dual core, but are under control, about 75c under synthetic all core load. The bios battery has just two wires coming out of it going to the motherboard, red and black. I think it's the only two wire connector on the bottom of the laptop. It's accessible with only taking the bottom cover off. Just unplug that and make sure it's unplugged from the wall and no battery for about a min. That will reset your bios. [/quotemsg]

Alright thanks let me know if anything crazy happens like it over heats

kmron774

Prominent
Jan 3, 2018
I know I am a year behind, but I can confirm that an HP 6570b will see all 8 threads with an i7-3740QM Installed right away and hasn't given any issues so far.

Dec 2, 2018
I too have an HP Probook 6570b.

But is has Ivy Bridge HM76 Chipset, Socket 988B rPGA.
CPU is i5-3210M.

Can I upgrade to i7-3840QM?

You might want to start your own thread --- this one is already getting too long.