Creating a database to track game collection - with excel; help

starrywisdom

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
Over the past year or so I've been meaning to finally create a database of sorts to track my game collection(retail boxed/digital games, guides etc). I'm moving within the month, and am in the process of packing everything up so now is my best time to create said database. To be blunt, I've used excel for very basic items but never a large database with multiple 'categories'.

I have opened excel but that's as far as I got because I want to make sure the best way to go about this. My first thought-through was I'll have about 10 columns(all ofwhich I would like to be able to sort by). And about a thousand rows(one row for each individual item).

My question is really about entering the data and 'locking the rows of info together'. Should I just start entering data from left to right(title/release/genre/etc/etc)? I assume there is some way to lock all cells in a row together which will make this possible? IE: so that I can sort each column and 'all the data' in that row gets sorted as well.

In essence I need to know:

-Is there any special way I should enter the data(special cell) or just start typing the data in in each cell then format later?
-How do I lock each row of information together? So that each row is 'one entry' rather then a row of 10 columns
-Any special way to create sortable columns? Or will just clicking the header and hitting sort work?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the noob questions - but I'll probably never ever use excel after this so I don't really want to invest in a book and video guides that cover everything. :)

nhasian

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
Actually using a spreadsheet is pretty convenient. You should take the time to learn the basics and you will find that you will start to use it more frequently. You don't have to buy a book or guide, there are a lot of free sources to learn from the internet.

How To Use Google To Search