Dell Inspiron 7720 - Does not Power Up

Eberhardt

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
The system was operating ok, but I heard a pop/crackle while using it and it immediately powered off. The system was slightly hotter then normal so I allowed it to cool down and when I pressed the power button the system was unresponsive (no sound/power indicator/etc) Also the power cable light did not remain BLUE when it was plugged into the system (it instantly went out each time).

I have tried the following:
- remove the battery and power cable held down the power button for 30 seconds (and 60 seconds) and reattached the battery and power cable (light still turned off and unsuccessful correction).
- Obtained a known good battery from a sister system and tried that
- Removed the ram to bring back to 8GB

Changes to the system: I've replaced the battery (past month), the hard drive (past 6 months) and also increased the ram (past 6 months).

Note: System was connected to a surge protector at the time of the incident and there was no brown/black out at the time.

Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

Hi,

The fact that you heard a pop and a crackling sound that could be an indication that something might have short circuited inside the laptop. But if you're still seeing lights on the laptop there could still some hope with it. Try powering on the laptop first without the battery and if it does boot up if it doesn't connect an external monitor and see if you'll get any display from it because if you don't there's really an issue with the motherboard. Open the laptop and investigate for any short circuited part of it.

Eberhardt

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011

Laptop_Nerd:

Thank you for the idea I'll find a video and pull apart the system. Sadly there are no lights on the laptop itself, only the cable has a light to indicate power. However, once the cable is plugged in it's light also goes out. Sorry for any confusion and thank you again for the suggestion.