Dell laptop keyboard not working after sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 19, 2018
Laptop model: Dell Precision 5510 i7 8GB
When the laptop goes into sleep mode or I set it to sleep, when attempting to wake it up the keyboard won't type anything. It appears unresponsive but the backlighting on the keys work. The touchpad and the touchscreen both work.
I tried many of the solutions posted here: drivers are updated. Any suggestion is always welcome.

For "Sleep Mode" issues, see if this helps...

1. Go into "Control Panel" and click the "Power Options".
2. Next to the plan that is currently selected click "Change Plan Settings".
3. Now click "Change Advanced Power Settings".
4. Open the "Sleep Setting" and find "Hybrid Sleep"
5. Change/set it to allow.
6. Now click "Apply" and then click "OK".
7. Finally shut down and power up the computer.

Reactions: Sidfawy

jprenzo

Prominent
May 3, 2018

I have the same problem with my Dell Precision 5510 (win 10).
After sleep the keyboard doesn't work anymore. When I reboot it works.
Dit you get a solution yet?

UPDATE: I noticed that even when my screen goes into standby my keyboard stops working.

jprenzo

Prominent
May 3, 2018

Thank you for your reaction. Unfortunately this didn't work.

Feb 19, 2018

I have tried so many times in the last year to fix this issue by factory resetting the laptop using Dell's factory image, using a Windows 10 image from Microsoft without any Dell drivers, manually installing all the drivers from Dell support website, following every single troubleshooting guide I can find online...nothing had work. This machine is supposed to be the Enterprise version of the XPS 15, which is supposed to be the best Windows laptop you can get this days. So if Dell can get it right with this high end machine, I have serious doubts about their capacity.

Knowing that you have the same issue gives me a bit of comfort that this is most probably a software issue that Dell is not interested in fixing. I say this because this situation pushed me to a Dual Boot install of Windows 10 and Ubuntu 16.04 originally (had some issues with 17.10). Recently I upgraded to Ubuntu 18.04 and so far everything works perfectly. Even Chrome browser can be dragged using the touchscreen which didn't work for me on 16.04 (Firefox worked fine on 16.04 and 18.04). Ubuntu 18.04 polishes the whole experience, adjusting perfectly to the High DPI touchscreen, the touch performance is top notch, and the trackpad works as good as in Windows. No manual changes need to be applied like in the past, just the CommunityTheme if you want to have a modern UI. Hint: install Google Chrome browser and you'll be able to navigate the whole web, Firefox didn't let me play/watch Netflix videos.
No more turning off the system because it went into standby or sleep mode, or messing up with troubleshooting steps that take me nowhere. Sleep works perfectly in Ubuntu, which is another evidence of the issue been a Dell's driver problem and not the machine hardware.

I hope this helps you brother.

jprenzo

Prominent
May 3, 2018

Thank you so much for your reply. I now installed Ubuntu 18.04 and everything works!
I am busy wich this laptop for almost a month trying to find the problem with the sleep mode & keyboard, I also had a few times the touchscreen didn't work, the mouse always works in windows 10.
I installed different versions of windows 10, changed as much bios settings as possible and also tried to install windows 7 but when I install Windows 7 the system crashed and I get a blue screen and it restarts and continues crashing.

I will install Google Chrome and will continue to use Ubuntu, although I am new to this.
We seem to be having the same problem and I don't think we are the only ones. This is the first time I have this problem with a high end laptop like this.

I am so glad to see I am not the only one with this problem and also that everything works with Ubuntu but unfortunately not with windows 10....

Now I only need to find out how to select to use the Nvidia video card for some applications (like VLC) instead of the Intel HD.

I hope there will be a solution soon so I can use Windows 10.

Thank you for your reply, it helps me a lot my friend!

Feb 19, 2018

jprenzo,

I have good news, if you are still interested in using Windows 10 :lol:
I was able to fix the issue by replacing the CMOS battery on the laptop. Maybe just removing the CMOS battery and clearing the CMOS could be enough.
This YouTube video help me a lot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z7oqzwHGdY

I hope this finds you on-time!!

toprisiu

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
I've been trying to fix this for the past year and was finally able to solve it. For my all I had to do was go into the BIOS and change the BIOS SATA mode to AHCI.

philsharp45

Prominent
Dec 17, 2017
I've been trying to fix this for the past year and was finally able to solve it. For my all I had to do was go into the BIOS and change the BIOS SATA mode to AHCI.
This soloution also worked for me. I tried reinstalling Windows, lots of different drivers and different firmware versions, none of which worked. It turns out if you go into the BIOS and turn SATA to AHCI from disabled and make sure all SATA drives are enabled even if you don't have any SATA drives in the computer, the keyboard sleep issue will be fixed, or at least it was for me on my XPS 9550.

Status
Not open for further replies.