Dell Latitude E6420: Keyboard periodically losing power requiring re

Chrismartin76

Prominent
Jul 9, 2017
I have a Dell Latitude E6420. For about three years I had no problems with the keyboard. Recently however, the keyboard occasionally stops working. This usually happens after I undock it from the PR03X docking station. To fix it. I power off the computer, remove the battery, hold the power button for 10 seconds, and then restart. This always fixes the problem. However, I'm looking for a permanent fix because this problem occurs every two weeks.
I don't have any other problems. Peripherals works fine.
Thanks!
Chris

Solution
Try this...

1. Uninstall the keyboard driver.
2. Reboot the computer (without reinstalling the driver).
3. When it restarts, it should reinstall the driver on its own.

If this doesn't work, you may wish to try connecting an external keyboard and see if it works fine. If it does, then it could be the keys themselves that are the issue.

You may also want to try updating the Synaptics Driver if the above doesn't help.
Try this...

1. Uninstall the keyboard driver.
2. Reboot the computer (without reinstalling the driver).
3. When it restarts, it should reinstall the driver on its own.

If this doesn't work, you may wish to try connecting an external keyboard and see if it works fine. If it does, then it could be the keys themselves that are the issue.

You may also want to try updating the Synaptics Driver if the above doesn't help.

Solution

Chrismartin76

Prominent
Jul 9, 2017
Thanks. I updated the BIOS, which may have solved the problem, but if the problems occurs again I'll try these steps.