Desktop + Crap-top or Convertible?

PHIL528

Estimable
Jul 14, 2015
I am getting a laptop for school but I also am looking something that's powerful to get me through the summer. I write essays, stream videos, and put the maximum stress of 720p medium settings on H1Z1 on a computer.

So my first option would be to get a desktop for 450, and then an absolute crap-top like the Asus T100HA 11' convertible for use in school to use only for essays for 150. This totals to 600.

My second option is too get a all-round convertible for 600, like the Asus Q551LN. So this packs a 2.0GHz i7 with 8GB ram, with a 2GB GT 840M.

So my issue is with the Asus Q551LN, that would be the max performance I could get, and I don't know how fast the 840M runs. The maximum stress I would put on a GPU would be 720p medium settings H1Z1. However, I can't upgrade the graphics in a laptop, so I am stuck with that. With a desktop and craptop mix, I can always get performance from my desktop and do essays on my laptop. However, I don't know if I would be to comfortable always switching.

Any suggestions on which option I should take.

Thanks!

Solution
An 840M can run some things OK, some things great, and some things poorly. Here's some benchmarks: http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-840M.105681.0.html

My guess is it could handle H1Z1 at 720P medium just fine. For college, I think you'll find you use a laptop more than you anticipate and having something decent will be handy. Often times I see people choose the desktop + laptop option using a cheap laptop and it ends up binding them to their dorm room. This makes it harder than necessary to collaborate when necessary as you either need to virtually meet or everyone needs to come to you with their laptops. Much easier when everyone can meet in a common area with laptops. Plus the whole dorm-mate situation, a laptop lets...

joex444

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
An 840M can run some things OK, some things great, and some things poorly. Here's some benchmarks: http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-840M.105681.0.html

My guess is it could handle H1Z1 at 720P medium just fine. For college, I think you'll find you use a laptop more than you anticipate and having something decent will be handy. Often times I see people choose the desktop + laptop option using a cheap laptop and it ends up binding them to their dorm room. This makes it harder than necessary to collaborate when necessary as you either need to virtually meet or everyone needs to come to you with their laptops. Much easier when everyone can meet in a common area with laptops. Plus the whole dorm-mate situation, a laptop lets you leave if you need to be away from them for some reason.

I don't particularly see why you need a convertible laptop - a traditional one at that price point is likely to fare better performance-wise.

Solution