Disabled Intergrated Graphics-Laptop now does 7 Beeps(Alienware 17)

Brandon_26

Estimable
Nov 15, 2015
I had a lot of issues occur recently with a Alienware 17 I bought from ebay-maybe thats my first mistake, but of course, that does nothing for me now.

Anyway, I have been having problems with the screen ever since I updated the bios. Anytime the laptop would sleep, I would get a black screen. Usually fiddling with it and taking out the AC power would cause the screen to flicker on. Yesterday however, this fix stopped working. I was able to hook it up to an external monitor, so I was thinking maybe the LCD needs to be replaced.

I tried to test the graphics card. It has a gtx 860m. I disabled it and that didnt fix it. So I enabled that and then disabled the intel graphics. This did work before, but this time the system didnt display anything on both the LCD and the monitor!

So not only can I not see the bios at all on boot, but I cant see anything afterwards. After a few startups like this, I am now getting 7 beeps which I believe is a cpu failure. I find this hard to believe is the actual problem, since it appears the only issue was the LCD to begin with.

Help? Would removing the CMOS battery help this or is this something I send to dell. I have disasembled laptops before.

Specs are :
GTX 880 with 2GB
Intel Core i7 4910MQ
16 GB Ram
250SSD
Says it was deployed September 29 2014 if that helps with anything.

Alienware Series

Confirmed: 7 beeps = CPU failure.

Disabling a display adapter in Windows Device Manager (assuming that's what you did) wouldn't stop it working outside of Windows (eg for BIOS, boot process etc). So it's caused by something else, faulty CPU as per the 7 beeps.

Brandon_26

Estimable
Nov 15, 2015
Thanks for the response. Do you think this is something a local shop can fix or should I send it to dell?(Or maybe try to sell it all together). Trying to minimize my losses here. The laptop seemed to work great, until that display problem got worse.

It's possible to replace the CPU, and the video card probably, but then the issue may be on the motherboard. A bad CPU socket or some other issue with the motherboard can come across in the error codes as a bad CPU.

I avoid buying things that tend to have issues with stability like laptops and video cards without testing them first. Quite often items like that are sold not because they need money or do it for a living but because they are having issues and they want to get rid of it.