Do ALL 6950s have the ability to unlock or is it a chance thing?

Bomino

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
in other words, is there a chance that my 6950 wont be able to unlock to 6970? if so, what are the success odds? also, if i run crossfire with two cards, do they both need to be unlocked for them to work together properly?

P.S. sorry if this has been asked before... i couldn't find anything

Carc369

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
All reference models have the ability to be unlocked. I've personally unlocked 3 (1 HIS, 1 XFX, 1 Powercolor). I've heard some people being able to unlock non-reference models though.

I've never had a crossfire setup but I believe they could run with only one unlocked. I don't see why anyone would do this though. I would unlock both.

JDFan

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
From what I've heard the first batch of cards manufactured were able to be unlocked but ATI has since made the locking down of the cores permanent by laser etching the dies, so that the newer batches will not be able to be unlocked !

ecotox

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010

+1 to this! I bought a brand new 6950 2GB and found that whilst I could flash the BIOS for a permanent overclock, I could NOT unlock the extra shaders. I emailed both the manufacturer and ATI and they both confirmed that the newest models were now being hard-locked to prevent people picking up the cheaper 6950 and effectively turning it into a 6970 for free.

Mousemonkey

Distinguished

But I bet people will still continue to buy (and be recommended to buy) the 6950 on the strength of being able to unlock it, so as a marketing trick it works. :lol: