Does Asus X455LD support eGPU ?

louisrefitra

Great
Oct 24, 2018
i have Asus X455LD ( Core i7-4510U 4GB RAM Nvidia GeForce 820m 2GB VRam ) without a thunderbolt 3 USB port, does it support eGPU ?

k1114

Distinguished
If it has wifi then it has a slot that can be used. I wouldn't call it modding since many laptops have an easy access panel. Yours requires too much disassembly to get to it so I wouldn't suggest doing it.

Usb-c cannot be used for an egpu because those are usb only and you need pcie. Don't confuse it with tb3 that just so happens to use the same usb-c port.

louisrefitra

Great
Oct 24, 2018

mPCIe ? like the WiFi card used on the motherboard ?

louisrefitra

Great
Oct 24, 2018

what do you think if i use the PCIe slot that used by the WiFi Card ?
i dont care about disassembly the notebook since i want more performance improvement . . . but i'll think about it later

louisrefitra

Great
Oct 24, 2018

what should i do after i watch it ? and in the past i disassembled it on my own

louisrefitra

Great
Oct 24, 2018

yeah . . . i have same idea with you . . . but is the PCIe support an eGPU ? and is it support GTX 950 ?

k1114

Distinguished
Ok so you have no issue with what has to be done to get to it. Then yes the mpcie slot (not pcie, they're not the same) could run an egpu. You still need a mpcie to pcie x16 adapter, external psu to power the gpu, external monitor, and from the disassembly possibly a mouse and keyboard.

k1114

Distinguished
The exp gdc isn't the only adapter and others have had less issues and cost less. https://egpu.io/forums/expresscard-mpcie-m-2-adapters/us7-50-generic-mpcie-egpu-adapter/ You also don't need 300-400w psu just to power a 90w gpu. Although the better quality psus aren't going to be much smaller, many people have used power bricks for their size and ease of use because you don't need a 20/24 pin jumper and no bundle of extra wires.

jojesa

Distinguished

I was considering that, but because of the location of the mini PCI-e slot on that laptop, that adapter might not fit...it will hit the system fan shroud.

I suggested a 300-400 PSU, since lower wattage units are very unreliable or they might not come with a 6-pin power connector.

Like k1114 said you could also use a DC Pico ATX PSU Power Adapter with a power switch.

louisrefitra

Great
Oct 24, 2018

what kind of mPCIe type that i have to use ? because mPCIe has a different type of it

louisrefitra

Great
Oct 24, 2018

i'll use PCIe Riser for saving budget . . . and the case i'll buy it in the future and do u have a cheeper type for the case ? my budget is very low

and . .. that case include the PCIe adapter or not ?

louisrefitra

Great
Oct 24, 2018

i'll choose 300W +80 Bronze for powering the GTX 950

jojesa

Distinguished

There are two type full (51mm) and half-size (26mm) versions. Make sure not to confuse them with mSATA
You should look for half-size form factors Mini PCI-Express (mPCIe) ...thy're are designed for space-constrained devices such as laptops.

jojesa

Distinguished

Some PCI-e risers like this one @ newegg.com comes with a full size mPCI-e adapter with a braking point to also fit a half-size mPCI-e slot.

That's the cheapest I have seen and it does not come with any adapters...just the case.
I was thinking building one out of acrylic or plexiglass.
If I find a less expensive...I will post back here.

louisrefitra

Great
Oct 24, 2018

the PCIe (female) has so many different type like https://www.newegg.com/global/id-en/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812423198&cm_re=PCIe_riser-_-12-423-198-_-Product or https://www.newegg.com/global/id-en/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIACJR6V16476&cm_re=PCIe_riser-_-9SIACJR6V16476-_-Product (look the female mPCIe ) and the one that u mention before , and what type that i have to use to fit my laptop case ? i mean my notebook isnt has many room for extra cabel or internal accessories

i'm gonna think about the case later . . . .