Does DVI to HDMI cable transfer audio?

NelGaming

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013
Hi!

By the end of the school year , I will be getting a tv from my parents, since they are getting a new one.The Tv only has an HDMI port.My gtx 970 has got 1 hdmi ,1 display port , and two DVI. I am currently using the hdmi port to my monitor and one of the dvi ports to the second monitor with a DVI to VGA adapter so the only option is for me to use a Dvi to HDMI cable. There is a possible other option that includes a hdmi adapter that has Female ports on both sides. ( https://www.mimovrste.com/hdmi-kabli/digitus-adapter-hdmi-c-mini-m-hdmi-z?v=749938 ) . With that I could use the current 3 m HDMI and buy another 5 m ( I need around 7 m) and connect it that way. Is that a good option? Does that cable transfer audio too . ( https://www.mimovrste.com/prilkjucni-video-kabli/digitus-kabel-hdmi-dvi-digitus-10m-dk-330300-100-s?v=645598 )
The TV is a samsung 6100 55 inch series. It has a DVI audio in.

Thanks

BrandonYoung

Estimable
Oct 13, 2014
DisplayPort to HDMI should retain audio, or use DVI and run audio in a different cable.

If you are not using audio on your monitor, just drive your monitor with something else and save hdmi for the TV.

I'm using a 50' HDMI cable to reach my TV.

Aria1066

Distinguished
May 13, 2015
In certain circumstances DVI will carry audio. It depends how the manufacturer set up the mobo or video card. Most OEM manufacturers do not enable audio through DVI, although I recently came across a Fujitsu desktop that did.

NelGaming

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013
Ok so I have been busy reshearching and in my nvidia control panel I have found an option that enables audio passthrough through both DVI outs , hdmi and display port. I am currently pretty sure that the audio will be transfered over the cable but I guess I will just have too see when the cable arrives.

BrandonYoung

Estimable
Oct 13, 2014
Video only: DVI/VGA.
Video+Audio: HDMI/DisplayPort.

If you are running video via DVI/VGA, you will need to transfer audio in a different output (3.5mm headphone jack/RCA[red/white]/optical).

Good luck.

NelGaming

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013

Yes but I will be using a DVI to HDMI cable or a adapter then a HDMI cable. My GPU supports audio over DVI , just the monitors/TV dont support the audio imput through DVI. So my plan is a adapter from DVI to HDMI then a HDMI cable to the tv. Or a DVI to HDMI cable without adapters with HDMI going to the TV.