Does this Exist:?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHIL528

Estimable
Jul 14, 2015
A 2-in-1 laptop with thunderbolt 3?
I know of the Dell XPS 12 and the acer aspire R13 372T. But they are not out yet.

The thunderbolt hype has got to me with the wonders of never upgrading graphics again...

Thanks!

Clarification:

Anyway its not necessarily about upgrading graphics.
When you use something like a surface, it is easy to carry around and you don't have to use a desktop for everyday things, but when you need to use something more graphically demanding, there is just no way to put a graphics card into a device with less volume than a graphics card itself.

The thunderbolt idea is to take the graphics card out of my desktop and plug it into the laptop. Which intel has done.

However for mobile phones there are no need for strong graphics.

Solution

It seems like a lot of hassle for mediocre gain, but hey what...

littleleo

Distinguished
May 8, 2009

What does thunderbolt have to do with graphics? I know in early versions it used the DP in the function but that was not for your monitor to use.

PHIL528

Estimable
Jul 14, 2015

You cant use thunderbolt for the on screen monitor but you can use it to run it through a graphics dock that runs to another monitor. You might ask, why not a desktop? But then you would have two separate computers and if you use a portable one often its annoying to transfer files back/fourth.

PHIL528

Estimable
Jul 14, 2015

You cant use thunderbolt for the on screen monitor but you can use it to run it through a graphics dock that runs to another monitor. You might ask, why not a desktop? But then you would have two separate computers and if you use a portable one often its annoying to transfer files back/fourth.

USAFRet

Illustrious

I have multiple PC's, and transferring files is as simple as copying to another drive letter. Said mapped drive happens to live on a whole other PC.

PHIL528

Estimable
Jul 14, 2015

That idea would not be bad though... xd... Anyway its not necessarily about upgrading graphics.
When you use something like a surface, it is easy to carry around and you don't have to use a desktop for everyday things, but when you need to use something more graphically demanding, there is just no way to put a graphics card into a device with less volume than a graphics card itself.

The thunderbolt idea is to take the graphics card out of my desktop and plug it into the laptop. Which intel has done.

However for mobile phones there are no need for strong graphics.

PHIL528

Estimable
Jul 14, 2015

This has been hype since thunderbolt 1 for a long time. But Intel created a external graphics device for thunderbolt. Its not just about the graphics, you plug in a heavily portable device into a dock and that one cable connects it to usb peripherals, internet, SSDs, monitors, and graphics.

I still understand why you think I am insane xd...

littleleo

Distinguished
May 8, 2009

It seems like a lot of hassle for mediocre gain, but hey what ever floats your boat, good luck.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.