downgrading my laptop os from laptop built in recovery (sony vaio)

greatxgaming

Estimable
Oct 11, 2015
hello, i have a vaio laptop with windows 7 pre-installed and i installed windows 8 on it, regreted it but i dont have a windows 7 cd, so does windows 7 actually still exist on my laptop cuz i have a recovery partition that is 9 gigabytes big and if it still does, how to reinstall it, i found vaio recovery wizard but i dont know if it fill format everything to the way before i installed windows 8 or will it just format factory the windows 8, help is appreciated, so the conclusion to my answer is... can you downgrade to your old laptop os through vaio recovery from the assist button, and is you can, how? thank you

Solution
Before you do that, backup any data files that are on that drive, because as Laptop nerd said above, the recovery will restore it to factory condition. I would also make a list of all of the installed programs you added since the computer was new, so you can go about re-installing the one's you intend to use in the future.

After the recovery, Windows will have to perform all of the Microsoft updates, so keep it connected to the internet and be prepared to wait quite a while for the update process to complete.
Hi,

The answer is no if you installed Windows 8 in that laptop using a Disc or a USB. The only way to bring it back to Windows 7 is to get a System Recovery disc from the manufacturer and run it. You'll loose all your files when you do that since it's going to be back to Factory Settings just like out of the box.

greatxgaming

Estimable
Oct 11, 2015
i do not have a recovery disc from the manufacturer, altough i do have a recovery partition which is 9 gigabytes big which you could burn to the disc, i do not know if the recovery partition contains the recovery for windows 7 or the windows 8, what do you think?

mjslakeridge

Distinguished
Before you do that, backup any data files that are on that drive, because as Laptop nerd said above, the recovery will restore it to factory condition. I would also make a list of all of the installed programs you added since the computer was new, so you can go about re-installing the one's you intend to use in the future.

After the recovery, Windows will have to perform all of the Microsoft updates, so keep it connected to the internet and be prepared to wait quite a while for the update process to complete.

Solution