fuegodecosta

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
First of all here's my setup:
HDMI_Setup.png

TV A: Currently Westinghouse LTV-32w6, upgrading to larger TV later this year.
TV B: Will be the Westinghouse after upgrade.
HDMI Switch: Monoprice 4x2 True Matrix High Speed HDMI Powered Switch w/ Remote Controller (HDMI x.v. Color)
HDMI Cable 1 & 3: High Speed HDMI 1.3a Category 2 CL2 (24AWG) w/ Net Jacket - 6ft
HDMI Cable 2: High Speed HDMI 1.3a Category 2 CL2 (24AWG) w/ Net Jacket - 8ft
HDMI Cable 4: High Speed HDMI 1.3a Category 2 CL2 (24AWG) w/ Net Jacket - 15ft
HDMI Keystone Jacks: Couplers bought off eBay.
Video Card: XFX GX285XZWFF GeForce GTX 285
Motherboard: Asus M3NHT-Deluxe/HDMI
HDMI => DVI Cable: Tried an old RCA brand cable bought from Walmart.

My problem:
I am not getting a signal from my computer though HDMI. I can see my TV from the nVidia control panel, but when I select it as the monitor, I hear the Windows connect and disconnect sounds a couple times, but no image. Then it switches back to the monitor. If I try connecting directly to the TV it works fine. Also, if I remove my video card and connect via HDMI from my motherboard, I have no trouble, however then my graphics capabilities are severely limited. I am guessing my problem stems from the fact that my RCA brand cable may be too old and low in quality. I was thinking I might try a DVI=>HDMI adapter with an HDMI cable. But I wasn’t sure if that would be any better than a DVI=>HDMI cable. Here’s what I was thinking about getting:

Option 1:
Adapter: DVI-D single link Male to HDMI Female adapter
Cable: High Speed HDMI 1.3a Category 2 CL2 (24AWG) w/ Net Jacket - 6ft

Option 2:
Cable: HDMI DVI cable CL2 (24AWG) w/net jacket- 6ft

What do you guys suggest I do? Would either of these be better? Also, do you think that I will be able to get a good enough signal in the other room without a repeater or extender?

Also as a side note, in the future I plan on replacing my HDMI switch with a 4x4 matrix switch and adding 2 more TVs on the other side of the house (about 85 feet). For the cable runs I plan on using HDMI => Cat 6 extenders. Don’t know if this would be relevant to the above. I wouldn’t mind your input on this either.

Thanks.

fuegodecosta

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
Yes, if I plug it in using the RCA brand DVI => HDMI cable from the computer directly to the TV it works. I can't do that all the time though because I have 2 other devices that use HDMI and my TV only has one input.

amdchuck

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
Doesn't that seem to point to the HDMI switcher as the problem then?

Not sure what, if any, support the manufacturer offers but if the DVI>HDMI cable works just fine plugged directly in to the TV then there are really only two possible causes....the switcher or I guess possibly the HDMI>HDMI cable that would connect the switcher to the TV.

I mean, if it works until the switcher is put in the chain, those are the only possibilities, right?

fazers_on_stun

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006
Hmm, hard to tell from your diagram & description - currently you have no "TV B", so you are testing by connecting the DVI-HDMI cable directly to TV A, and also testing by connecting HDMI 1 directly to your mobo? If so, I'd agree with amdchuck that your switcher is probably bad. I'd suggest you try it again but plug HDMI-1 into the other switcher HDMI output & see if that does anything.

HDMI can be very tricky. Your switcher is probably not making a "handshake" with the PC video card. If the video card is not HDCP compliant and the motherboard is then that would also explain the problem. If you use a DVI adaptor you won't get sound. 24awg cables are pretty thin. Better cable might help.

fuegodecosta

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
Not sure what, if any, support the manufacturer offers but if the DVI>HDMI cable works just fine plugged directly in to the TV then there are really only two possible causes....the switcher or I guess possibly the HDMI>HDMI cable that would connect the switcher to the TV.

I don't think the problem is necessarily with the HDMI switch as it is working with my PS3, DVR, and HDMI from my computer's motherboard. I also tried changing out the HDMI cable from the switcher to the TV with all my other HDMI cables and still no luck.

Hmm, hard to tell from your diagram & description - currently you have no "TV B", so you are testing by connecting the DVI-HDMI cable directly to TV A, and also testing by connecting HDMI 1 directly to your mobo? If so, I'd agree with amdchuck that your switcher is probably bad. I'd suggest you try it again but plug HDMI-1 into the other switcher HDMI output & see if that does anything.

Yes, for now I don't have a TV B, so I am testing with TV A. I didn't have any luck changing to output B on the switch.

HDMI can be very tricky. Your switcher is probably not making a "handshake" with the PC video card. If the video card is not HDCP compliant and the motherboard is then that would also explain the problem. If you use a DVI adaptor you won't get sound. 24awg cables are pretty thin. Better cable might help.

My video card is HDCP compliant. Also it has audio pass-through capabilities. Using a SPDIF cable from my sound card, I am supposed to be able to get sound from the DVI port through a DVI => HDMI connection.

I am still waiting on Monoprice to come back online. When it does, I think I am going to try the adapter/HDMI cable combo so I can use what seems to be a better cable.