superplum

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
DVR Expander problems

Hi All,
I've tried to find a post with info on DVR's & Expander problems with no luck. I currently have 2 Scientific Atlanta 8300HD dvr's with 1TB Iomega SATA expanders (1each). The 1st one I've had for years with no problems, except for a shortage of space when Cablevision made almost all channels HD (which is not a bad thing). I added the first expander to it about 1 year ago. It's been working great until recently. When my series 1 Tivo in the other room stopped working, I decided to get another dvr from Cablevision. It seemed to work fine until I added another Iomega 1Tb (same one as the other). It would record shows but they became unavailable until I restarted the dvr. Then I started having freeze ups, loss of sound, & sudden restarts on the other original set up. I had a Cablevision tech over to check it out. He removed a couple of unused splitters & tested the signal at each TV. He said it was right where it should be half way between the minimum & maximum. I asked him to replace the newest dvr anyway, which he did. The attached expander could not be recognized. I've replaced it. It seems to work but I'm still having the same problems intermittently on both sets. Has anyone heard of a similar problem or have an idea for a fix? Any idea's would be appreciated.
superplum2@optonline.net

dcamis67

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
I read about other DVR brands, and External hard drives which state that the hard drive must be formatted prior to adding content. This is done by attaching the drive to the reciever and following the on-screen prompts to format the drive. Also, if there was any content on the drive prior to being connected to the DVR, that content would be lost. Also, is it possible that the external drive is going into a sleep mode? I'm by far no expert, just some topics I have come across while trying to expand my own Dish Network DVR.

TRENDING THREADS