EA Breaks Law with Brass Knuckles

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stromm

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]I find this retarded. Not the EA sent it, but the fact that a relatively rudimentary shaping of metal makes it illegal, but it would be fine if I put a lot more work into that metal and make a knife into it, it's completely legal.[/citation]

The law is the law. It actually takes LESS work to make a knife out of that metal. Metal Knuckles are complex compared to knives and swords.

elbert

Distinguished
I find this retarded. Not the EA sent it, but the fact that a relatively rudimentary shaping of metal makes it illegal, but it would be fine if I put a lot more work into that metal and make a knife into it, it's completely legal.
A knife with knuckles is called an enforcer which is illegal in Kentucky. Last I checked anyway. Both being illegal is more due to ease of concealment and difficult to trace when a crime is committed.

nachowarrior

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
what about foam rubber knuckles, or bone knuckles? The canadians probably don't like them because of the jokes... usually involving the word "Ca-knuckles" haha

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]What problem? We have a single digit murder rate per 100,000 (We're not even in the top 50), and while a solid crime rate is difficult to determine, it's been shown that crime is going down in the USA. Just take a look at this graph. The biggest issue we have with crime is recidivism, as our percentages are higher than most other countries.[/citation]

That graph is pretty dubious, and in reality the US homicide rate is barely lower than the global rate, and when compared to averages across other developed nations (such as the EU) it is terrible. Bragging that the US did not make the "Top 50" most homicidal countries (in actuality it is 51st, in other words, 62% of countries have a lower rate) is hardly going to convince me that there isn't a crime problem.

Grims

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]actually barss knuckles are illeagal because theya re a concielable weapon , th further add to a case on tehm , they are mainly sued as an offensive weapon , and not reallya self defence weapon hince why theya re illegal . Even guns have laws in states most states rule that youc an NOT conceal a gun and if you avhe one displayed on your self (aka no concieled ) then you need to be able to present the fact you avhe a license for it. Knives are also illegal after a certain "size" this vary's froms tate to state in texas the leagal knife size is 4 inches (or no longer than your middle finger used as general measure by cops) . i think in NY the limit is 2 inches. point beign i can see how how brass knuckles are illeagal the "right to bear arms" only really applies to your right to defend yoruself (or feed your self as a hunter)[/citation]

Actual you have the gun law wrong. They call it a CCL because it is a "Concealed Cary License" It is actually illegal to cary a handgun unconcealed.

The exception is rifles, in Texas anyway you can display them freely.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]Grims[/nom]Actual you have the gun law wrong. They call it a CCL because it is a "Concealed Cary License" It is actually illegal to cary a handgun unconcealed. The exception is rifles, in Texas anyway you can display them freely.[/citation]

This is woefully inaccurate. Most states have open carry laws allowing you to have a loaded firearm on your person, as long at is in plain view and you are otherwise legally in possession of the gun. The most common hiccup is with motor vehicle restrictions, since many states prohibit having a loaded weapon in a motor vehicle regardless of visibility.

bunz_of_steel

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
I think EA should be slammed to the *** wall with a lawsuit or fine of somesort!!!! No way should they be let off the hook. If it was you or me we would be in jail by now, no questions asked.

righteous fury

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
[citation][nom]joebob2000[/nom]That graph is pretty dubious, and in reality the US homicide rate is barely lower than the global rate, and when compared to averages across other developed nations (such as the EU) it is terrible. Bragging that the US did not make the "Top 50" most homicidal countries (in actuality it is 51st, in other words, 62% of countries have a lower rate) is hardly going to convince me that there isn't a crime problem.[/citation]

Um, just to be certain you are aware of this small fact, the EU is not a nation... rather, it is a collection of nations... if you're going to attack someone, make sure you are on point or the people here WILL call you on it... just some food for thought.

G

I thought it was funny that they are illegal in California. So they can not be shipped or sold in california. How did EA get their nefarious hands on these illegal items in the 1st place?

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]righteous fury[/nom]Um, just to be certain you are aware of this small fact, the EU is not a nation... rather, it is a collection of nations... if you're going to attack someone, make sure you are on point or the people here WILL call you on it... just some food for thought.[/citation]

You do know that when I said "nations", that 's' granted me the ability to mention more than one particular nation, right?

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]alienzmadness[/nom]I thought it was funny that they are illegal in California. So they can not be shipped or sold in california. How did EA get their nefarious hands on these illegal items in the 1st place?[/citation]

Ever been to Venice Beach?

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]joebob2000[/nom]That graph is pretty dubious[/citation]
It was created by the EU. Mind explaining to me what's wrong with it?

and in reality the US homicide rate is barely lower than the global rate, and when compared to averages across other developed nations (such as the EU) it is terrible. [citation][nom]joebob2000[/nom]Bragging that the US did not make the "Top 50" most homicidal countries (in actuality it is 51st, in other words, 62% of countries have a lower rate) is hardly going to convince me that there isn't a crime problem[/citation]
....it's not the 51st last I checked. And murder is only one kind of crime.

jwl3

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
Kind of stupid. Who needs brass knuckles when you can insert your housekeys in between your knuckles and create an even deadlier weapon?

EA's stupid publicity stunt backfired.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]jwl3[/nom]Kind of stupid. Who needs brass knuckles when you can insert your housekeys in between your knuckles and create an even deadlier weapon?EA's stupid publicity stunt backfired.[/citation]

Have you ever tried that? Its not as effective as you think. Just try hitting a heavy bag like that, you're more likely to injure yourself than anyone else.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
There are key chains meant to be used in such a way, but a house key is going to be rather painful. Some car keys can be pretty useful in that type of situation as they usually have a large, and often padded, butt end.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
@TindyTim

Fair enough, I could see having ones designed for that. Of course you could always use them as a swiping weapon instead of a stabbing.

jwl3

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
GM0N3y Have you ever tried that? Its not as effective as you think. Just try hitting a heavy bag like that, you're more likely to injure yourself than anyone else.

Haven't tried it at full force naturally. But they do teach that to women at self-defense classes. I imagine it's pretty painful to you but much more to your target, depending on where you hit them. Some states have actually outlawed those specialized "key chucks" and I think they're certainly banned on airplanes.

I personally carry a steel extendable baton. Don't want to be caught completely defenseless in NY.

Status
Not open for further replies.