EVER Charges Moving EV Cars Wirelessly Through Street Surface

Status
Not open for further replies.

bgaimur

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
Even if this didn't make it to the real world anytime soon, it just goes to show that we have some incredibly creative/inventive minds working toward a greener future. Though the current iteration of EVER may be cost prohibitive, who knows what they can come up with given more time and funding?

I'm optimistic either way.

Tesla demonstrated wireless power transmission over 30 miles in 1896. Why would I want this system which is likely extremely expensive to implement, when something better and cheaper was made 116 years ago?

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
Rather than implementing this on the road, how about we do it in parking lots? The average commuter drives 30-60minutes to their place of work, and then parks there for 6-10 hours, to then drive 30-60minutes back home. The key to making EV cars viable is making use of that 6-10 hours while at work via some form of passive charging technology. Solar could work where I am at, but for places that have parking structures we would need something more like this. The range of the cars will be taken care of as batteries get better. Until then keep the big family car on gas for longer trips, and then make the smaller commuter cars on electric.
Most traffic on the road is commuters, and yet they tend to drive the great big family SUV or the truck, even though they are just going to an office or doing errands. The trick will be to get these people into smaller sensible cars, while making large vehicles affordable to borrow or rent when they are needed (because they really are needed... just not every day). I'm no 'greenie' earth lover, but I still have always looked for cars that fit my day to day use, and then simply borrow or rent a truck when I need to move or haul something. Over the last ~15 years I have been driving this has saved me thousands in gas and maintenance compared to my friend's larger vehicles (which I then pour into tech gadgets and home repairs lol). Besides, you would be amazed what you can fit in a small hatchback... just the other day I bought a bunch of supplies for a remodeling project and I was able to fit a new toilet, along with a few large bags of R38 insulation. It was a snug ride home, but the point remains that we do not need the monster cars that most people buy.

vaughn2k

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
So flying cars will not be viable at all... though we've all seen this from movies like star wars, Captain America, no one really spend sometime on this, not even a breakthrough on 'anti-gravity'...

amdwilliam1985

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
This sounds good, it can also be implement for consumer electronics such as cell phone and laptops, you'll never have to worry about running out of juices.

G

I see this used on the interstates as a pull off ramp or an extra lane (like a truck lane up a hill). Maybe a mile of road designed to recharge a vehicle while you drive over it slowly, maybe every 30 miles along the interstates. By the time this is is implemented, cars will be self driving and communicate with each other, so the "driver" can take a nap while the car takes care of its own charging needs. Vehicles will be electric powered in the future. We are running out of oil, and there is not enough farm land for biofuels. Electricity can be created a thousand different ways. We drive a Nissan Leaf, and blog at kyleaf.com

bgaimur

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
[citation][nom]velocityg4[/nom]Tesla demonstrated wireless power transmission over 30 miles in 1896. Why would I want this system which is likely extremely expensive to implement, when something better and cheaper was made 116 years ago?[/citation]

Yeah... and the ancient egyptians had ancient alien technology... how is this helpful?

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
Bad idea on several fronts:

1) Requires an all new road infrastructure which is the wrong path to start down
2) Inductive Charging (which is what this is) is inherently inefficient and this is the primary reason why it is a difficult sell.

Introducing even the small inefficiencies in the transfer of energy to the car batteries for electric vehicles adds up to tremendous quantities of additional electrical supply for even the smallest cities. The size of the car fleet in the US is beyond tremendous and the idea of replacing road infrastructure & introducing an inefficient way to charge cars is a terrible idea.

It is a niche idea with two show-stopping downsides. Solutions moving forward requiring replacing existing infrastructure are not solutions.

That said - fossil fuels are killing the planet AND running out. Fracking for natural gas is a fast-track to permanently destroying huge areas of land by permanently poisoning water supplies with acryalimide (a neurotoxin - all molecular biologists know this), benzene (attend just the 1st lecture in a college-level organic chemistry class and you'll hear all about how toxic benzene is), & god knows what else the oil and chemical industry is pumping into the water table.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
[citation][nom]caedenv[/nom]Rather than implementing this on the road, how about we do it in parking lots? The average commuter drives 30-60minutes to their place of work, and then parks there for 6-10 hours, to then drive 30-60minutes back home. The key to making EV cars viable is making use of that 6-10 hours while at work via some form of passive charging technology. Solar could work where I am at, but for places that have parking structures we would need something more like this. The range of the cars will be taken care of as batteries get better. Until then keep the big family car on gas for longer trips, and then make the smaller commuter cars on electric.Most traffic on the road is commuters, and yet they tend to drive the great big family SUV or the truck, even though they are just going to an office or doing errands. The trick will be to get these people into smaller sensible cars, while making large vehicles affordable to borrow or rent when they are needed (because they really are needed... just not every day). I'm no 'greenie' earth lover, but I still have always looked for cars that fit my day to day use, and then simply borrow or rent a truck when I need to move or haul something. Over the last ~15 years I have been driving this has saved me thousands in gas and maintenance compared to my friend's larger vehicles (which I then pour into tech gadgets and home repairs lol). Besides, you would be amazed what you can fit in a small hatchback... just the other day I bought a bunch of supplies for a remodeling project and I was able to fit a new toilet, along with a few large bags of R38 insulation. It was a snug ride home, but the point remains that we do not need the monster cars that most people buy.[/citation]
They already have things for that its called a charging station http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charging_station.

This is for charging your vehicle while in motion so your EV can go more than its prescribed mileage. Basically if this system was implemented on all the interstates people with EVs would only need batteries when they were traveling on the surface streets or back roads. That would actually make them a halfway decent idea... save for the gps transmitter they will have to put in the car to keep track of how much time you spend on the highway to charge you for the electricity you use. Cause you know government wont give you stuff like this for free.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Charge your vehicle while it drives, and waits for the light at an intersection? This is the kind of thinking that really sets the best scientists apart.

G

Yeah... and the ancient egyptians had ancient alien technology... how is this helpful?

First off, we don't know if ancient egyptians had ancient alien technology (you probably even mentioned it in an attempt to ridicule the post about Tesla)... we do know however for a fact that Tesla had a working Wifi energy transfer prototype 116 years ago.

The point is that the technology could have easily been in global use for about a century now... and the only reason its not is because the very premise clashed with the corporate giants back then and their profit margins.
We live in an idiotic world that doesn't use technology for betterment of mankind and is artificially holding us back (the monetary system being the root problem).

cirdecus

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2008
[citation][nom]velocityg4[/nom]Tesla demonstrated wireless power transmission over 30 miles in 1896. Why would I want this system which is likely extremely expensive to implement, when something better and cheaper was made 116 years ago?[/citation]

Because its not better and cheaper, that's why it was abandoned genius

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]bgaimur[/nom]Yeah... and the ancient egyptians had ancient alien technology... how is this helpful?[/citation]
Because what you're talking about is some kook's fantasy. Tesla's radio power transmission is just something you are ignorant of because you didn't listen in science class.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]Cirdecus[/nom]Because its not better and cheaper, that's why it was abandoned genius[/citation]
What is "abandoned genius"? John Forbes Nash in middle age?

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
This idea has been around for at least a decade now (probably a lot longer). The technology behind it isn't anything new or difficult, its the inefficiency of power transfer and the massive cost to implement this.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Maybe ok for Highways to help with long distance travel. Otherwise Garages and parking lots are better as cars spend more time standing around than actually driving.

Supermarkets... come shopping with XYZ, buy Cornflakes and get a free charge courtesy of Kelloggs while waiting in line at the checkout ;-)

Yes, we can have sponsored parking spaces! Coca Cola, Kelloggs, Kraft etc will go for it for sure.

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009

Just imagine that a lot of what most people consider as modern tech is already outdated by 400+ years when considering all the high end tech that has been locked up in secret military and private labs for decades. There is only one area that the US is behind in and that is Scalar tech also known as directed energy. I hate to think about all the uses that smart dust can provide to a hostile enemy when used on a large population.

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
[citation][nom]bgaimur[/nom]Yeah... and the ancient egyptians had ancient alien technology... how is this helpful?[/citation]

Just left overs from a more ancient yet more advanced civilization that had existed before it. Rise and fall that is the story of humanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.