Exchange surface pro 4 core m3 for i5 model?

Shafi Rpl

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013
I bought surface pro 4 a less than 7 days ago, and am absolutely loving it. The problem is, if i play 1440p 60fps video or anything higher than that(including 4k), there is horrible lag and stutter. The problem only occurs in chrome. Edge runs it just fine, but most of the videos don't have any option higher than 1080p in edge.
The thing is, as a pc enthusiast, i also own a i7 macbook air and hp elitebook 8560p(running windows 7), they donot suffer any horrible lag or anything playing the same exact video on chrome.
The thing is, i am still under their return period and can exchange it with a i5 model, 4gb ram. But i have heard reports that i5 doesn't necessarily fix that problem at all.
The funny thing though, after installing an extension, which bypasses vp9 codec and uses h264 codec results in a smoother video. But still i didn't need to do that in my windows 7 hd 8560p laptop(2nd gen i7,4gb ram, hd 6470m dgpu) or on my mac.
So i was looking for suggestion, should i exchange it for an i5? My main usage will be light office work like google docs or microsoft office, streaming videos and sometimes games to it, and finally, might be doing some light coding. But it will be extensively used for note taking and writing in one note.
I also have to shell out 224 canadian dollars including taxes if i go to that route
Thanks in advance.

Solution
Try downloading a updated version of Chrome. The Intel HD graphics core in the m3 should be able to play 4k video. The Intel HD 520 graphics core in 6th generation Intel Core i series CPUs can definitely hand 4k video since I have watched some 4k video on Youtube; simply do a search for "4K video" in Youtube. In fact, I can watch 4k videos on Youtube with a laptop that has an older 4th generation i5-4200u with the Intel HD 4400 graphics core.

The issue is that whatever program or browser you are using to watch video need to be updated to take advantage of the decoding hardware in Intel HD graphics cores.

schaft

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
Yeah, the main issue is the build in gpu in m3 or i5 is not good enough to go above 1080p. Even your old hp 8560p has its own AMD Radeon HD 6470M - 1 GB GDDR3 SDRAM gpu.

Basically, any model of surface pro 4, all has similar gpu, which is the main problem to your need. Better return it.

Try downloading a updated version of Chrome. The Intel HD graphics core in the m3 should be able to play 4k video. The Intel HD 520 graphics core in 6th generation Intel Core i series CPUs can definitely hand 4k video since I have watched some 4k video on Youtube; simply do a search for "4K video" in Youtube. In fact, I can watch 4k videos on Youtube with a laptop that has an older 4th generation i5-4200u with the Intel HD 4400 graphics core.

The issue is that whatever program or browser you are using to watch video need to be updated to take advantage of the decoding hardware in Intel HD graphics cores.

Solution