ant667

Prominent
May 6, 2017
Hi, I know you are thinking of all the possible ways to do this when you read the title but this time is different. I have a helix Intel Core i7-3667U. I've read up on trying to run a graphics card via 3.0 but from what I read you don't get the connection speed you need. I was going to try a usb to expresscard adapter and pcie card to express card. So with that out there I don't think it would work, what about the ribbon connector they use to connect the tablet portion to the keyboard dock? it runs two usb (3.0?) and a mini display connector. Could you possibly make a home dock out of an old keyboard using the connector if you somehow found a adapter (or made one) that would connect some sort of external graphics card pcie (with power supply) setup? If anyone wants the specs on the machine please feel free to respond , you may or may not find them on google. I got this machine really cheap it was used and this is sort of a side hobby of mine.

--new update kind looked into it and I don't think I could power a graphics card through the I/O board into a pcie.

Solution
however i dont think the keyboard connector is pcie or an interface that can provide enough bandwidth for graphics. ribbon cable is different. probably the only way is using pcie or thunderbolt 3(if available) to connect to the external graphics card, because other like type a usb 3.0 cant provide enough bandwidth which makes it pretty much useless. by the way what graphics card are you actually planned to use?

ant667

Prominent
May 6, 2017

No no no I don't think you are familiar with this device. it is a Lenovo Helix (ultra book) it's a tablet with a keyboard that runs windows 8(8.1) or 10 if I upgrade it. Taking the unit apart in order to access the wireless card pcie slot wouldn't work because the cord that connects wouldn't let me put the system back together it's too thick.

look here you can see a video of someone taking it apart and you will understand.
[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN2K3qd82AI"][/video]

nvincent_08

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016
however i dont think the keyboard connector is pcie or an interface that can provide enough bandwidth for graphics. ribbon cable is different. probably the only way is using pcie or thunderbolt 3(if available) to connect to the external graphics card, because other like type a usb 3.0 cant provide enough bandwidth which makes it pretty much useless. by the way what graphics card are you actually planned to use?

Solution

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

Might as well buy a new machine that has a Discrete graphics card.

ant667

Prominent
May 6, 2017
^ Yea I plan just upgrading to a laptop with a thunderbolt 3 eventually was just curious if the I/O board connector could handle the bandwidth needed for a graphics card. would be interesting a PCIE to I/O connection. The keyboard interface or the I/O board runs what two USB 3.0 and a mini display? Probably not enough juice.