Greerere

Honorable
Dec 17, 2013
Hey all,

So I have a weird issue. I am trying to associate a file type (.epub) with firefox. I have done this in the past with no issue.
Right Click > Properties > "Opens With:" - Change > Locate the program (Firefox) via the browse option > Click on Firefox.exe > click open
and...nothing...
Firefox doesn't appear in the "Recommended Programs" nor "Other Programs".
Similarly if I try to open the program with the "Open With..." right click option firefox doesn't appear in the list.

The only reason I can guess for this is because firefox is not located on my primary drive but on my secondary one.

I have also tried to change file association via the "Default Programs"

So, does anyone have any advice on fixing this issue?

EDIT:

Managed to solve the issue. Some odd issue with the location for firefox which .epub files tried to access did not exist.
Corrected that in the registry and it worked fine.

A strange issue since regardless of how much I tried to change the file association it didn't change the registry file for the correct location of firefox.

aford10

Distinguished
I know you said you've tried this, but when you 'open with,' and hit the browse button, it should open up windows explorer. You don't need to choose from the provided suggestions. Once windows explorer opens up, you can go to your c:\program files, or D drive, or whatever drive you have Firefox installed on.

Greerere

Honorable
Dec 17, 2013
Yea, I did that and it didn't work.

I have done this before, changed file association and had absolutely no issue. But now I have a program on a different drive and it does not want to work.

A bit odd and I was just wondering if someone has come across this before and if so, how they fix or got around the problem.
I am wondering if there is something within the registry that could help?

aford10

Distinguished
Were you not able to find Firefox when you browsed for it? Or did you find it, choose it, and it still not open correctly?

When you say it's on another drive, are you referring to a local secondary drive/partition, or on a network drive?

Greerere

Honorable
Dec 17, 2013
Okay, firefox is located on a secondary drive (Not networked)

I find the application - firefox.exe - click it, click open and then nothing. It is not on the list of programs to choose. Nor if I just click on firefox.exe then just click okay/apply does it work.

Greerere

Honorable
Dec 17, 2013
I have the add-on. The problem is that I cannot make the file open with firefox.
It simply does not appear on "open with" list even after I have,
Right Clicked > Properties > "Open With:" - Change... > Browse... > located firefox.exe on my hdd > click "firefox.exe" > click open >...

Then is not on the "Recommended Programs" nor in the "Other Programs".
If i just click "ok" after I have chosen firefox.exe from the browse option it just opens with what it was before.

This is the same regardless if I chose to do this with the "Open With..." option or attempt to change the file association.

I can get around the program by opening the file when I am on firefox.
But I wish to associate the file so I don't have to go around this long route every time.

aford10

Distinguished
Once you browse, and locate firefox.exe, select it, and hit ok. It should show up in the list of 'other programs.'

To keep it always opening in firefox, there is a box to check to always use that selected program.

Greerere

Honorable
Dec 17, 2013

Here lies my problem. It is not appearing in the list so I cannot choose it.

Greerere

Honorable
Dec 17, 2013
Managed to solve the issue. Some odd issue with the location for firefox which .epub files tried to access did not exist.
Corrected that in the registry and it worked fine.

A strange issue since regardless of how much I tried to change the file association it didn't change the registry file for the correct location of firefox.