File not playing in VLC

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Stealthinator

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
I have a bunch of .mov files that everytime I try to play with VLC, I get this message over and over:

No suitable decoder module:
VLC does not support the audio or video format "m2v1". Unfortunately there is no way for you to fix this.

When I converted the files to .wmv using Freemake Video Converter, I can play the video, but I get no audio.

Would anyone know what the issue is?

Thanks.

cl-scott

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012
The issue is that the audio is encoded with a codec that isn't supported by VLC. If it's not supported by VLC, then odds are there are no free programs that do. You're basically going to be stuck using QuickTime for those specific files so you have my sympathies.

manojgj

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
if you ready to give up .mov formats than try "handbrake" to convert your files into mp4 or mkv..
or .mov is your's priority , then download "format factory" and choose all to MOV( yes .mov to .mov, but if your older files may have some codec issues, this will fix it)
just try with 1 file to check, if converted new file works fine vlc, then you may convert rest of your files
both handbrake and format factory are freeware, so just give a try

manojgj

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
then download handbrake or format factory , convert them to avi or mp4..

but "just try with 1 file to check, if converted new file works fine with vlc, then you may convert rest of your files "

manojgj

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
what camera you got,, brand and model number...
generally vlc has it's own codecs , so no choice for any codec pack for it,, better get klite codec pack & try to play the video using media player classic or any other player ,

Status
Not open for further replies.