Status
Not open for further replies.

bjaminnyc

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Can anyone recommend a simple home FTP server solution?

I've done a few searches and most point to Filezilla Server. I'm familiar with the Filezilla FTP client but not Server.

My home connection is Fios.

I'm basically wanting to transfer encrypted data [PC (External)] -> [PC (Home)] via the internet, no cloud middle.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Filezilla is very easy to use. You install server, then launch it, choose port and create an account for client (username/password). Finally, select folder which you want to share. That's it.

On client, just write the IP of the server and username/password you have created and it will let you download the files.

MeneerWitte

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012

:hello:

Kindly I ask your attention.

Start your browser, search with diffeent search engines and use different phrases:

Free FTP server x?? software download
Free FTP server software for Windows
Free FTP server software for Windows 7 x??

You will find planty of links to go for and just choos what you need might help too. If there are a lot of functions you don't need, just put them beside and take the one you like and want for just that thing.

Windows can send files from one to another by itself and you could use Messenger/Yahoo (for files beneth 2GB) and so on.

I guess what you want is your Home pc ad standby and start/reseve and standby again is what you want.

I guess, every FTP server will have the option for an automated Anti Virus check.

Hopefully I let you known enough and that you will find the answers you seek! :D

Good luck and have fun doing it! :D

Best Regards,

MeneerWitte

bjaminnyc

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Thanks for what I perceive to be a somewhat condescending response.

Obviously a quick google search is going to give me the phone book of FTP server solutions. I was hoping for someone to share a success story or provide a recommendation based on their experience. I will be transferring containers in excess of 2GB so I need a relatively reliable and robust platform.

After quite a bit of research I think I'm just going to setup an Apache web server.

Sunius

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010
Filezilla is very easy to use. You install server, then launch it, choose port and create an account for client (username/password). Finally, select folder which you want to share. That's it.

On client, just write the IP of the server and username/password you have created and it will let you download the files.

Solution

bjaminnyc

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Thanks for the advice. It was actually pretty easy to setup. Although, I had no idea Verizon does not support loopback. Using a VM to test the server I couldn't connect, drove me nuts. Stumbled on the lack of loopback issue in a forum, DL'd a client on my phone and was working perfectly and has been since.

Thanks again.

I'd love to see someone release an opensource/freeware UDP client/server.

Status
Not open for further replies.