Fix Broken keyboard connector base

Ramil Ahmadov

Estimable
Sep 3, 2014
Hello guys,
I have Xmg P724 laptop and when i was trying to install a new msata to my laptop(msata storage is located beneath keyboard and easily accessible) i pushed keyboard too far and broke my keyboard connector base. Keyboard cable and retainer is still connected to connector base. Is there any way of making connector base stick back to motherboard tightly? Or any other way of fixing my keyboard? My motherboard is Clevo P370sm-a.
Your help is really appreciated!! Thank you in advance!!

Solution
Yea, the solder pads came off. The only way to fix that would be to scrape enough of the of the surface off to reveal the traces and use extremely thin wires to solder the connector back to the board - extremely difficult to do. Old friend did one for me a few years ago.

Since that's not really feasible, the only solution would be to replace the motherboard.

Ramil Ahmadov

Estimable
Sep 3, 2014
e7105bc75026.jpg

http://s019.radikal.ru/i621/1510/17/2575a3b448f9.jpg
By the way i found out that it is impossible to pull up retainer for some reason, its stuck!
But still any siggestion how i can fix my keyboard?

tman1

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
Yea, the solder pads came off. The only way to fix that would be to scrape enough of the of the surface off to reveal the traces and use extremely thin wires to solder the connector back to the board - extremely difficult to do. Old friend did one for me a few years ago.

Since that's not really feasible, the only solution would be to replace the motherboard.

Solution

Ramil Ahmadov

Estimable
Sep 3, 2014

For some strange reason even if i hold the connector base(with cable and reatiner in connected normally) to its place as before it was broken(i even applied force to make sure they contact). However, when i start my laptop at that position my keyboard is still not working. So how it was working before?!! Or it doesn't work when manually pushing them to contact?
Thanks

tman1

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
The solder pads connected to the thin traces just below the colored surface on the board. Those pads ripped off with the connector when you removed the keyboard. They won't make solid connections even if you hold it in place, that is why I told you your only option is to replace the board.

Had it been that simple, don't you think I would have told you to simply set it back in place and secure it?