Question FPS Dropping - MSI GF75 Thin 9SD & GTX 1660 Ti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 25, 2022
Hello, I need your help.
I've been experiencing FPS drops of around 5-10 lately during the 4th Quarter of 2021. Per my investigation, I recall that I updated my drivers while not being aware that it could mess up my system that time. Before that, I can run games like Genshin Impact and Nioh 2 very smoothly on the highest settings as long as my battery is plugged. (I have no FPS data back then because I didn't have a reason to check, I was happy with the FPS)
I've done some steps after searching through internet but I still couldn't get it to work like before and I feel a bit more lost. I've attached images here. Please let me know what else could be done/info needed.
Steps:
  • Set my MSI Dragon Center to Gaming Mode, Turbo shift and Cooler Boost for Fan Speed. Alays plugged in the charger when playing these games.
  • Uninstalled drivers via DDU on safe mode and reinstalled from the website support (https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GF75-Thin-9SD/support)
  • Tried to undervolt. Got my fans cleaned and thermal Paste replaced instead. It did improve the temps, but no improvement in FPS.
  • Set Power settings and Nvidia 3D settings to Max Performance
  • Scanned and set the optimal overclock with MSI Afterburner. I noticed a little improvement, however it still did not run as smooth as before I messed up my system.
Specs:
  • Model: MSI GF75 Thin 9SD
  • Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.60 GHz
  • Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630
  • RAM: Kingston DDR4 16x2 (bought externally and installed at the start of 2021. Fps is still smooth after installation, so it appears this was not the cause)
  • SSD: Samsung 860 EVO4TB SATA 2.5 internal SSD (bought externally and installed at the start of 2021. Fps is still smooth after installation, so it appears this was not the cause)
Image References: View: https://imgur.com/a/xRQjjJZ

I'm not a gamer and rarely have graphics issues. I do know that sometimes you need to use the laptop vendor specific drivers and they have customized things. In other words, if your graphics engine is Intel (like my slow graphics laptop) if I try to update from the Intel site it warns me to update from the HP site. I update all my drivers first using the Windows updater, then update system stuff from the Intel site and also check the manufacturers site. The worst thing you can do is use one of the driver updater programs as you may be getting an improper driver or even malware.

Reactions: oasisfirefly
Jan 25, 2022
I'm not a gamer and rarely have graphics issues. I do know that sometimes you need to use the laptop vendor specific drivers and they have customized things. In other words, if your graphics engine is Intel (like my slow graphics laptop) if I try to update from the Intel site it warns me to update from the HP site. I update all my drivers first using the Windows updater, then update system stuff from the Intel site and also check the manufacturers site. The worst thing you can do is use one of the driver updater programs as you may be getting an improper driver or even malware.

I actually used the built in update manager and it scanned online and encouraged me to install updates including GeForce experience.

Only did I do a little more research, I shouldn't have, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.