Status
Not open for further replies.

cncfrederick

Honorable
Sep 9, 2012
I have a Mitsubishi WD-73732, and I believe that I need a new lamp. The TV will turn on and after about a minute it will shut itself off, and the red light on the TV for the lamp comes on. This TV is about 5 1/2 years old and we have had the lamp replaced before while it was still under warranty. I was looking up the lamps to purchase...through Mitsubishi, the cost is $250. I found other replacement lamps for as low as $40 (Pure Glare). I am sure that it is probably better to buy the one through Mitsubishi, but for the price difference it is really that big of a deal to buy a cheaper one? I also found one for $75 that says it is an OEM bulb with a generic housing (Apex Lamps). Please advise.

Solution
Generic bulbs generally don't last as long as OEM. Getting the OEM bulb in a generic housing is probably fine though. Be sure the one you get comes with the housing unless you feel like you want to replace the lamp inside your existing housing. It's not difficult to do, but it's quite tedious, and you have to be extremely careful not to get any oils from your finger on the glass. High temp lamps have a tendancy to explode when those oils start to boil.

jcoultas98

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
Generic bulbs generally don't last as long as OEM. Getting the OEM bulb in a generic housing is probably fine though. Be sure the one you get comes with the housing unless you feel like you want to replace the lamp inside your existing housing. It's not difficult to do, but it's quite tedious, and you have to be extremely careful not to get any oils from your finger on the glass. High temp lamps have a tendancy to explode when those oils start to boil.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.