Fujitsu S6240/S2020 fan replacement?

cgallery

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
I have a Fujitsu S6240 w/ a noisy CPU fan that I'd like to replace.

No service manual from Fujitsu. If anyone has one, I'd love to have it. I don't think Fujitsu makes any, as I've never found a service manual for any Fujitsu notebooks and you'd think one of them would have made it into the wild. Anyway...

I found this link for replacing the "AC" jack on an S2020:
http://jackrepair.blogspot.com/2006/06/repairing-fujitsu-s2020-ac-jack.html

The S2020 and S6240 appear to be kissing cousins.

The question I have is, once I have the keyboard off, will that RF shield over the motherboard come off? Or will I have to remove the palm rest, etc., to get to the CPU fan?

The fans are available on ePay for about $15. I do plenty of this type of stuff, taking it apart doesn't scare me. I just want a road map of where I'm going.

frozenlead

Distinguished
I don't have that specific model, however, I've taken apart hundreds of notebooks. In most cases, to get to the CPU fan, you do have to take the palm rest off, so you will also have to remove the shielding.

Some notebooks are built upside-down, where all the components are actually mounted on the bottom of the motherboard. Usually in those cases you don't have to remove the palm rest.

There's a generalized disassembly guide at the top of the forum if you need help.

crivas13

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
Here is a roadmap start. I just took the whole thing apart to replace the fan. You'll have to take pretty much every screw out of the computer including removing the lcd display. Just be careful with the palm wrest. Make sure you have all the screws off including the ones that secure it to the the motherboard / shield. The fan is secured with screws from underneath the motherboard.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/?option=com_content&task=view&id=24287&pop=1&page=0&Itemid=98

cgallery

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009

That's another good reference, thanks!

I've disassembled lots of notebooks, but I like a service manual if possible. There are so many "gotchas" that can result in broken parts/wires, etc.

So these online takeaparts are handy. They pretty much tell me what I need to know.

Many notebooks I've worked on have an RF shield under the keyboard that will come off w/o having to remove the palm rest. I guess my main question was whether the RF shield under the keyboard extends under the palm rest or not.

Doesn't matter much, I'll find out soon enough. But again, thanks for the tips!