Good headphones needed

GoldenGamerUK

Honorable
Aug 16, 2013
I'm on the lookout for a new set of headphones because the current pair of headphones I have, beat solo hds, are a bit annoying, the cable is a bit too short, so I have to arch near my PC so the cable doesn't pull, the ear pieces really push against my ears after a set amount of time, they are on ears, I would rather just use them for when I want to listen to music on my phone, so the headphones I'm looking to buy, I would like wireless, even though it's not a necessity, I have experiences of cables breaking because of the cables being run over by my chair, they NEED to be over the ear design, and need to have a good sound to them. for example 5.1 or 7.1 Dolby surround, I tend to listen to a lot of music when I'm playing so If I could get a mix of inbetween, it's not a must, they could be just centred towards gaming audio, I'm looking to spend about £150 on the headphones, i also forgot to mention a mic, if it could be a mic that mutes when placed upwards would be a huge help, thanks! :D

Solution
I don't know anything about wireless headphones but I can say that you can add a microphone to any headset. Modmic is an attachable mic that will work with any headphone.

I'm sure everyone knows about these headphones but ATH-m50s are about the best sound for the price at around $110. They have a very long cable. I will admit that their ear pads could be more comfy. If you really need to, better ear pads can be purchases along with it.

thor220

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
I don't know anything about wireless headphones but I can say that you can add a microphone to any headset. Modmic is an attachable mic that will work with any headphone.

I'm sure everyone knows about these headphones but ATH-m50s are about the best sound for the price at around $110. They have a very long cable. I will admit that their ear pads could be more comfy. If you really need to, better ear pads can be purchases along with it.

Solution
the m50 is a closed design and has an extremely small soundstage though. its less than ideal for gaming although since i own a pair i will say that they "could" be used and that they do have good sound for the money.

the op would likely be better off with the pc363d which is 159gbp on amazonuk http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-PC363D-Surround-Over-Ear-Headset-Black/dp/B008O515CK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1408064289&sr=8-2&keywords=pc360 as they have a high quality microphone which has mute on raise, are based on the hd555/595 so have a pretty wide soundstage and good quality but they are a bit bass light like most sennheisers tend to be.

GoldenGamerUK

Honorable
Aug 16, 2013
I done some youtubing after reading both of the suggestions I ended up choosing the audio technica ath m50x, they look perfect! I'm not really looking for a mic with the headset because I'm planning on getting a studio like mic, for my setup!

thor220

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009

Part of the problem with the sound stage on the ath50s is that the ear pads that come with the cans let your ears rest on the driver. I don't know if the new model, the atx-m50x, fixed this but I was able to get a much wider sound stage when I replaced the ear pads.

GoldenGamerUK

Honorable
Aug 16, 2013
it doesnt matter about highs mids and lows, i dont know how to identify all of that stuff, i only recognise bass and the actual sound quality, i have a pair of beats solo hds, and they have an alright sound quality in the bass department compared to apple headphones, apart from that, they are really muddy in sound quality, i think the audio technicas ath m50x will be a awesome upgrade!

thor220

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009

The ath-M50s and x have very good base for headphones, it's great when I play games. Just the right amount when I'm firing a gun or smashing things. The sound quality is much better than the beats though.

Just a tip though, the base improves when burn't in. You may get lucky and have a pair that sounds good right off the bat or may have to burn them in. Some people will tell you to run a certain track all night but I find games or videos with a large dynamic range to be better suited to the task. It's much more varied and more likely to get the cans to cover all they can reproduce.

TRENDING THREADS