Good tablet for school within the range of $200-$300?

bammeh

Honorable
Jul 7, 2013
I am going into my third year of college and no longer wish to carry my laptop with me to all my classes. I currently have a kindle fire that has been flashed with Android ICS, but I want something a little newer to take notes on, keep up with school events, etc.

I've always leaned toward the iPad Mini, because I had the iPad First-Gen, and currently use the iPhone 5. So, I am familiar with the interface, and the apps.

But, after using the Kindle Fire with ICS, I have began to like Android OS.

My main concern is price, along with performance. I know there are some Android tablets out there that perform really well for the price.

I have seen the new Nexus 7, and I think it looks REALLY nice, but I haven't gotten a chance to play with it yet. I was hoping a retina iPad Mini would come out soon, but I doubt it will be any time in the next few months.

Budget: $200-$300
What I'm looking for: A tablet that can perform well, isn't too expensive. Maybe removable SD storage? 7-inch screen. 10 inches is WAY too big. I want to be able to hold it in my hands comfortably and type.
Uses for the tablet: Taking notes in class, emailing, calendar, etc. School stuff. Maybe some casual gaming. Nothing too major. I am in the Business program at my school, so it would be used for notes, accounting, etc.

Just toss around some ideas, pros/cons, etc. If you want, you can compare each to the iPad Mini, as that seems to be the one I'm leaning toward.

Solution

Even at that price, the nexus 7's specs destroy the iPad's. The screen will be much sharper too. Yes, the nexus would be compatible with any Bluetooth keyboard.

bammeh

Honorable
Jul 7, 2013

My local Microcenter had the iPad Mini for $269. It's back at $300 now, but should go down in a month or so.

Can the Nexus 7 be used with a bluetooth keyboard?

kirilmatthew

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013

Even at that price, the nexus 7's specs destroy the iPad's. The screen will be much sharper too. Yes, the nexus would be compatible with any Bluetooth keyboard.

Solution