Google Boasts its Chrome is 26% Faster Than Last Year's

Status
Not open for further replies.

iam2thecrowe

Distinguished
HATE HATE HATE, i have a little hate hahaha. Seriously, i dont need a faster browser. Security is much more important. All browsers available are fast enough with modern computers. But none are secure enough. I stick with IE not because of speed, but because i dont have to install it, its already there, its updated frequently, its reasonably secure, it displays pages properly (google chrome sometimes doesn't display pages as expected). I would be happy to take a speed hit of 50% for 50% more security. Like i cant wait an extra second for a page to be displayed......

cats_Paw

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
If google gets its browser any faster, it will be a time machine to the future. Seriously, with a good pc and internet connection, google chrome is almost instantaneus by now.

wannabepro

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
I think it's time for a rousing round of applause. He's stopped just writing about Apple news. Hopefully we can convert Zak to become an Android fan!

*Claps enthusiastically*

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]wannabepro[/nom]I think it's time for a rousing round of applause. He's stopped just writing about Apple news. Hopefully we can convert Zak to become an Android fan!*Claps enthusiastically*[/citation]
Heh, I would be content if we convinced him to use "boast" less often...

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
that's slow...also don't like the fact that i can't control my cache, after you use the browser for a while it starts to slow down...FAIL

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
Speed is nice, but all of the major web browsers are pretty fast these days. What turned me on to chrome was the simple out-of-the-way interface, cloud support for using the same browser across a lot of computers, and decent plug-in support (namely to have AdBlock).

All that said, I have been tempted to switch back to FF lately. The last major update brought a ton of instability on several of the computers that I use. Yes, it was fixed in a few days, but a release should not have been let out that was so buggy to begin with!
Also, as time has gone on, I have been bothered more and more about the thought of Google tracking everything that I do. I know they are not some nefarious company or anything like that, but it just takes one major breach to potentially compromise a lot of the services that I use... and that scares me a bit. What keeps me from switching over though is that I am not sure that MS or FF could do much better on that security front... but then again they are not tracking nearly as much information about me as Google is.

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
does anyone REALLY notice those few millisecond differences?

after a full day of surfing, I'm sure those 28 seconds you saved from faster browser would come in handy....

deksman

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
[citation][nom]Cats_Paw[/nom]If google gets its browser any faster, it will be a time machine to the future. Seriously, with a good pc and internet connection, google chrome is almost instantaneus by now.[/citation]

Except for the premise that Chrome likes its RAM.
Nothing intricately wrong about that, however, I do think they could optimize the program further to lower RAM use.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]deadlockedworld[/nom]Uh, is this in response to Firefox announcing 25% speed increases in the next version? Because if so this browser war is getting a little petty.[/citation]
Amazing how Firefox announces 25% speedup and then comes Chrome saying 26%! speedup.

amdwilliam1985

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
[citation][nom]wannabepro[/nom]I think it's time for a rousing round of applause. He's stopped just writing about Apple news. Hopefully we can convert Zak to become an Android fan!*Claps enthusiastically*[/citation]
Easy, just have to upgrade his iphone 4 or 4s to iOS6 or should I say downgrade. He will throw his POS(piece of sh*t) to the wall. I've seen it happen, haha. That's apple's way of telling you, time to buy a new phone.
iOS upgrades/downgrades are a performance/battery curse.

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
You know what I need in a browser? Faster page loads, smoother video-

Wait, crap. My mistake, actually what I need in a browser is privacy, now get lost.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Security, stability, add-ons, correct rendering of pages, resource utilization, performance - these are important to me. Performance is not that high on my list. Kudos to both google and mozilla teams for chugging along in improving their respective browsers.

xpeh

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
The one thing I want the most is for Adobe to fix their shitty flash player, or for most websites to move to HTML5.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]xpeh[/nom]The one thing I want the most is for Adobe to fix their shitty flash player, or for most websites to move to HTML5.[/citation]

Amen. IMO 99.9% of all browser crashing is Adobe's fault.

deepblue08

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
[citation][nom]iam2thecrowe[/nom]HATE HATE HATE, i have a little hate hahaha. Seriously, i dont need a faster browser. Security is much more important. All browsers available are fast enough with modern computers. But none are secure enough. I stick with IE not because of speed, but because i dont have to install it, its already there, its updated frequently, its reasonably secure, it displays pages properly (google chrome sometimes doesn't display pages as expected). I would be happy to take a speed hit of 50% for 50% more security. Like i cant wait an extra second for a page to be displayed......[/citation]

IE display pages properly? Don't make me laugh. I will tell you now, developing pages for IE is a nightmare. Pages that show exactly the same on Chrome, Ffox, Opera and Safari for some reason don't look the same on IE. It is because of Javascript lag on IE and poor rendering accuracy I switched to Chrome.

Status
Not open for further replies.