Google chrome freezes (Waiting for appcache...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxic nubs

Estimable
Mar 23, 2014
My google chrome freezes causing every other program to crash for around 30sec to 1min. Is there a solution or should i move over to firefox as it is completely fine. The only extension i have is adblock.

Pina Colada

Estimable
May 19, 2014
Type into the search bar chrome://plugins/ and hit enter. List of pugins should appear.. Now in the top right corner there is a details button with a + in it.. click that and the plugins should show all the running processes.. The plugin we are looking for is Adobe Flash Player.. There should be only 1 plugin instance running.. if there are more than 1 or if there are duplicates running, turn them off.Same goes for shockwave plugin..

Hope this helps..

10chiens

Estimable
Sep 26, 2015

I am having this problem also.
A few months ago, I uninstalled Adobe Flash, and disabled the Chrome plugins.
The freeze up still happens "waiting for cache".
However, I do have a SSD.

Matt_26

Estimable
Nov 18, 2015
I got fed up with this in the end, moved to firefox now, hasn't happened yet in firefox. I too have an ssd drive, so maybe something in that.

Has anyone had this happen that doesn't have an SSD drive?

Why google can't sort this out is beyond me, has been happening years

10chiens

Estimable
Sep 26, 2015
OK, so I switched out the SSD for a Velociraptor hard drive.

Still get the Google waiting for cache thing.

Now I think it is related to the number of tabs I have open. I typically like to have about 10 open tabs, as I do a lot of cross-tasking. If I only have two or three tabs open in Google at a time, the "waiting for cache" does not happen. More than three tabs, and I'll start to see the cache thing again.

I do not have this problem in Firefox, so that's where I'm spending most of my time now.
Only going to Google Chrome when I need to.
Sad but true.
You would think that with all of their resources and their desire to be at the top of the heap they would do something about this.

10chiens

Estimable
Sep 26, 2015
Since my November post, I had a complete overhaul of my computer.
I was upgraded to Win10, and had the whole system cleaned and checked for viruses.
I have been using my new squeeky clean system for a few weeks, exclusively using Firefox.

I just tried using Google Chrome.
With one tab open only.
I went to Facebook, and immediately got the "waiting for cache" thing.

Back to Firefox it is!

Nizo211

Estimable
Jan 20, 2016
I feel your pain. Been dealing with this for a solid 2 years at least now myself. Every few months, I'll attempt to solve this problem, but nothing seems to work. It's been happening so long now, I can't remember when it started for sure. I do use a SSD and I do use Adblock, but I'm pretty sure I first installed Adblock as an attempt to fix the waiting for cache bug (you know, eliminate the possibility a ad was causing the lockup). At this point I'm thinking it's a piece of hardware that is not the HDD. Likely CPU/MOBO not playing nice with chrome. I run a FX series AMD CPU and I'm thinking it could be a AMD/Chrome conflict of some sort that causes this issue. I wonder if anyone having this issue is running an Intel CPU?

Steve_87

Estimable
Jan 24, 2016
sent me round the bend forever it seemed like, Malwarebytes sorted it for me, found SPIGOT.....SPIGOT.....SPIGOT.....and some more SPIGOT's running in chrome/apps. funny thing is i only use Google drive and the obligatory GMail....anyways worked for me .......got Malwarebytes from cnet/downloads------> [link removed].......good luck all

MOD: go to the source https://www.malwarebytes.org/

Matt_26

Estimable
Nov 18, 2015

Yea im also on an amd and ssd, have just upgraded to w10 but same problem straight away. Its funny that Ive never had the problem on my laptop, which also has an ssd drive but has an intel i7 chip.

Its strangehow google is so quiet about this and hasnt tried to get to the bottom of it, has been going on for years and is so infuriating, it literally locks my whole PC for approx a minute, which doesnt sound much, but when it happens multiple times, its a complete creative blocker for sure.

Chromes' my favourite browser, apart from this issue, but am moving to firefox if this doesnt get sorted

Nizo211

Estimable
Jan 20, 2016

It is VERY strange how quiet google is about this problem. I ended up uninstalling chrome for good on my home PC and just use Firefox now (and Opera for those times I need a second browser running at same time - even though Opera has it's own issues). I have tried everything and nothing will fix the problem. Best you can hope for (it seems) is a day or two with minimal lockups, then the problem is back full force. Lockups for around a minute are the norm while using Chrome and that is ultimately why I had to kick it to the curb. I still use it on my phone with no issues, but unfortunately it just doesn't work on a home PC. Each time I have uninstalled Chrome I have left a lengthy explanation as to why I am uninstalling, yet here we are years later with not a peep, nor attempt to fix the problem.

Conversely, Firefox has been running near flawlessly and has most of the features that Chrome has. I won't be reinstalling chrome until my next build (which will be Intel). Good luck to all those affected by this extremely annoying issue!

blueaxe

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013
Been using Chrome since it's inception, and for years experienced the dreaded 'waiting for cache', with no solution; even after all the well-meaning-but-ultimately-useless "fixes".
Found the "Cache Killer" extension just recently (in the Chrome Web Store, of all places); installed it and no more 'waiting for cache'. It takes a 3-4 seconds for pages to fully load, but you quickly get used to that.
Much, much, MUCH better than waiting sometimes minutes while your entire system is frozen like the Arctic Tundra.
I am using an AMD FX-6300, along with AMD memory and a Kingston SSD, and I believe that debunks the Chrome/ SSD/ AMD theory.
It's been a few days now and so far, so good.

THINKP0SITIVE

Commendable
May 28, 2016
Went to the properties for the Chrome shortcut and added this to the end of the Target line: --no-sandbox
Opens fast now.

THINKP0SITIVE

Commendable
May 28, 2016
I added the following at the end of the Target line (Right click Chrome icon > Properties): --no-sandbox
Open with a warning, but it is fast now.

daveinmuskego

Commendable
Jul 20, 2016

daveinmuskego

Commendable
Jul 20, 2016
I have been fighting with the "waiting for cache" message too! I recently discovered (quite by accident) that my problem is linked somehow to my McAfee antivirus protection. When I turn off "real-time scanning" in McAfee, the "waiting for cache" message goes away. When I turn it back on, the delay is back. I wonder if McAfee is checking all my cache files for viruses before it allows Chrome to proceed? It's weird because it doesn't seem to have the same effect for IE. Oh well, I can't explain it but it seems to work for me. I hope this fixes your situation too. It's ironic, McAfee is the add at the top of this page! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.