Google Chrome won't download files - "Anti-virus scan failed"

sebber91

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
So yeah, the case is that Chrome fails on every and any single file that I try to download.
I found some turorial on how to update the registry in Windows (I run 8.1) in order to make the virus scan work after a download is completed. This did not work. I already tried to run CCleaner to fix registry issues, I ran Malwarebytes on a full scan and I also re-installed Chrome to no change. I have checked that I am fully able to download files in Windows Explorer 10 just as expected, so it would seem that it's something with Chrome and I have run out of ideas now.

Any insights? :)

GorudoKitsune

Honorable
Dec 30, 2013
Check to see how much space you have in OS:C or your other hard drives where program files(x86) is
.temp files are a tell tale sign that your antivirus scanner doesn't have enough room to scan anything so check your chrome folder
if you see .temp then you need to make some room on your drive
Otherwise, try to open your file in multiple compression tools; 7zip, jzip, et cet. This may be a problem with Chrome's virus defs not being able to access or scan certain file types like the program you are trying to open in.

sebber91

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012

Thanks for the answer, sorry I didn't reply earlier, I thought I'd get an e-mail notification :eek:
I tried looking at the .temp folder and it was empty so I don't see this as the solution. The entire Google folder under AppData only weighed around 200 mb. and I have hundreds of available gb.'s on the HDD so I don't think space is the problem. About opening the file with different tools: Problem is that the file is deleted before I get a chance to do anything with it so I can't open it with other tools either.
I also just tried to 'advance-uninstall' Chrome with Revo Uninstaller, deleting every extension and such but the problem is still there.
Any other methods?