Google Execs Threatened With Jail Time for Video

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jwl3

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
Insane. This is what happens in a nanny state like the EU. Everyone needs to be "protected" from slander and all sorts of bad things. Sue everybody.

This is what's in store for the US if the democrats have their way with big gov't taking over our lives with tons of rules and regulations.

G

The Italian courts are a bit crazier than ours they also deemed that a man who molested his non-virgin daughter was guilty of a lesser crime than if his daughter had been a virgin! I hope these execs get off because this most certainly does infringe on a free internet!

G

one more reason to avoid that s-hole france. leave your freedom at the door and enter the police state.

HVDynamo

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2008
This is ridiculous, the people involved have been punished, Google removed the video when asked to do so, so what's the issue? How can they prosecute those guys when they had nothing to do with it, the case should be thrown out.

2GooDrumr

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
This is looking to set a very dangerous precedent. If someone can be prosecuted for hosting information on a free, open platform, who could be penalized next? Perhaps my site gets hacked and I end up displaying unfavorable material, am I to blame? perhaps some would argue i was at fault, but I don't feel its the fault of the host. In this case, Google promptly removed the content and in no way condoned the material. What could happen next? We'd be entering an era of censorship on all sorts of material. (I'm not saying that the footage in question was regarded overly-sensitively, it certainly required punishment, but ONLY of those who created the footage; Google did not own the footage posted) Fahrenheit 451 & Catcher in the Rye anyone?

Regected

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
[citation][nom]madest[/nom]one more reason to avoid that s-hole france. leave your freedom at the door and enter the police state.[/citation]
Yes, because we all know France and Italy are one and the same. Go buy a globe some time.

This is a BS case. Who knows the real reason for the case going to trial. I'm reminded of the final Seinfeld episode.

Teruo

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2008
Maybe they should try and search youtube under bullying / fight, im sure there are like thousands more video of that they can keep suing. Total nonsense!

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
ViPr - you are absolutely right!!
I want to sue Italy for wasting the time of the affected people and slowing down my work (because we all know how fast the news got spread when google just did not display results the usual way for few minutes).

m3kt3k

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
We should counter sue for teaching women its ok NOT to shave. Thats much more disturbing then that video.

G

If this continues we can forget about Google, Wikipedia, translator services, maps, etc etc etc...
I mean, people need to use some sort of common sense!
We can even forget going to work lest someone sues us for something!

apache_lives

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2002
sounds like the prosecutors are "disabled" similar the the "victim" in the video clip - this is like the battles of blaming car manafacturers because there products kill people etc. Why not sue cigarette compaines while were at it? there a definite cause etc...

G

Google better counter sue for everything under the sun their lawyers can think of (and make a few up while their at it). In fact, sue the original four culprits for posting the video in the first place (their fault the whole thing even came up after all).
I'd try suing the plaintiff for 'gross stupidity causing harm to the human species' (punishable by sterilization).

G

Italians have already lost the competition of the worlds best pizza to Finland. Now they have lost their faces. This is just stupid.

davidgbailey

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2008
I've thought about this long and hard and I've finally come up with a reasonable solution: ban all image or video capturing devices globally. Then this kind of chicanery will stop!

Status
Not open for further replies.