Google Warns of Increase in Attempted Account Hijackings

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
I am so sick of the "what as your high school mascot, pets name, mothers name, first car" questions that you can actually just Google the person to get the answer too. Tada account hacked...

The two step authentication is nice, but can be cumbersome. The 255 character limit, custom created security Q&A, text message and recovery email is spectacular though.

Nothing like having a password of YouWillNeverDictionaryOrRainbowTableMeBecauseMyPasswordIsStupidLong!p.s.-hahaha

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]COLGeek[/nom]Hacking continues to evolve and geekdom must remain on guard, informed, and educated.[/citation]

So hard when our generation is so dumb..
Us geeks must let our fellow dummies know the risks and how to avoid them.

dextermat

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
Just saw Mandiant report and gmail is just high fail. Chinese can create gmail account then verify it even if they are in china without any problems. Afterwards, they use gmail for spear fishing and hacking into hotmail, gmail, PC, ect.

Bottom line gmail is a great hacking tool and let people using their service are just hacker target.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6p7FqSav6Ho

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
My Gmail password has 180 quinquavigintillion possibilities before reaching mine. And yes I mean that literally 180 quinquavigintillion. So if anyone gets into it they deserve to get into it.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
p@$$w0rd is the best ever! lol

Seriously.. beef up those passwords and use two step authentication. Yes it's a little annoying but much so when your account gets hacked.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]I am so sick of the "what as your high school mascot, pets name, mothers name, first car" questions that you can actually just Google the person to get the answer too. Tada account hacked...The two step authentication is nice, but can be cumbersome. The 255 character limit, custom created security Q&A, text message and recovery email is spectacular though.Nothing like having a password of YouWillNeverDictionaryOrRainbowTableMeBecauseMyPasswordIsStupidLong!p.s.-hahaha[/citation]

Easy to break, dictionary attack will catch that password quick. Don't believe me? Check and see how many generators build passwords out of dictionary words.

Besides as I recall Google (and most others) only use the first 30ish characters regardless of the number you actually enter. Made for some fun with my bank password because it let me enter a 20 character password, afterwards I could never get back in. It only saved the first 16 so when I entered 20 it would always fail authentication.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]azraa[/nom]123456best password ever.(just kidding)[/citation]

I broke into someone's WEP network using "1234" once.

And if the password guessing didn't work, I could've downloaded a WEP encryption cracking software...

Status
Not open for further replies.