Got a HT-S3800 5.1 receiver want to use different center channel

Jul 20, 2018
i have a onkyo HT-S3800 thats rated nominal at 6 ohms but i want to get a klipsch center channel for it thats rated at 8 ohms. would my receiver be pushing too much power just for that one channel since the rest of my speakers are at 6 ohms?

Solution
Technically it would work, it's actually the opposite - an 8-ohm speaker has higher resistance, and will use less power than the other channels.

If you do just replace the center channel it may sound a bit off especially at higher volumes, there will be a bit less out of the center channel compared to the others. IMHO just replace all the speakers at once keeping it a consistent 8-ohms all around, if you are getting a klipsch center channel get matching L/R main speakers too. Surround speakers don't have to match but if they are 8-ohm that's good enough.
Technically it would work, it's actually the opposite - an 8-ohm speaker has higher resistance, and will use less power than the other channels.

If you do just replace the center channel it may sound a bit off especially at higher volumes, there will be a bit less out of the center channel compared to the others. IMHO just replace all the speakers at once keeping it a consistent 8-ohms all around, if you are getting a klipsch center channel get matching L/R main speakers too. Surround speakers don't have to match but if they are 8-ohm that's good enough.

Solution
Jul 20, 2018

ok thank you!! i guess i will just wait till then so i can replace the speakers later