Hacker Arrests Lead to Less Email Spam

Status
Not open for further replies.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
There’s still a lot of work to be done however, as Symantec estimates that spam still accounts for around 86.8% of all email traffic.

That's still an amazing statistic. I've noticed recently that many spambots are starting to move to other means of distribution, though--online forums. In the past couple of months they've been getting lambasted, including Tom's sites.

jskilnyk

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
Wow, thats great. An almost 50% drop in overall spam. Looks like someone is doing their jobs... Now, if we can only catch the people who make the viruses.

G

86.8% of ALL traffic, didn't realise spam was that much of an issue

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
If I were God, I'd smite spammers to dust as they press the [spam!] button.
Include those that spam those fashion, hat etc in Toms'.

Boom, headshot.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Ok now, let's not waste resources keeping convicted spammers fed, clothed, and housed. They were playing a game; ok then, stick their heads in a bucket and pull the trigger. GAME OVER.

schizz69

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
Spam is an integral part of our online lives.

How alse are we suposed to get hold of counterfeit medications, get rich quick, and grow a few inches in a few days.

Daym I feel shrinkage already.

Tatts

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
Hmmmm. "...Symantec claims that global spam email traffic went down by 47% over the last three months." Kaspersky pegs the decrease at 81.1%.
Yet "Symantec estimates that spam still accounts for around 86.8% of all email traffic." So, before July, spam accounted for 134% of all e-mail traffic (by Symantec's reconing) and 168% by Kaspersky's.
I'm no mathematician, but it is not possible to get those numbers to work. You can't kill that much of something and still have it be 87% of current traffic. Impossible.
Editors? Writers? Care to explain?

skyjogger

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
[citation][nom]Tatts[/nom] You can't kill that much of something and still have it be 87% of current traffic. Impossible. Editors? Writers? Care to explain?[/citation]
you are right you are no mathematician
to keep it simple, if 1 in 10 emails real thats 90% spam, you half the amount of spam (50%), so 1 in 5 thats 80% spam. the numbers are made simple in this example but you get the idea how this is possible. all it means is there is sooo much spam out there compared to legit mail

eyeklops

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
[citation][nom]skyjogger[/nom]you are right you are no mathematicianto keep it simple, if 1 in 10 emails real thats 90% spam, you half the amount of spam (50%), so 1 in 5 thats 80% spam. the numbers are made simple in this example but you get the idea how this is possible. all it means is there is sooo much spam out there compared to legit mail[/citation]

Incorrect. If 1 in 10 emails is real, 9 of 10 are spam (which is 90%, you got that right). However, if you reduce the number if spam emails by half, then 4.5 (statistically) are spam. 4.5 of 10 is 45%.

G

Uh, no.

The amount of legit emails doesn't increase to fill the void left from the missing spam.

If 1 in 10 emails are legit, and 9 of 10 are spam, and you reduce the amount of spam by half (4.5) you have 5.5 emails, not 10.

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Maybe I am missing something here. I don't see how using botnets and whatnot to spam is considered hacking and the people who do it hackers? The title of the article indicates hackers but the content of the article clearly indicates they are spammers and only mentions the word hackers in the last sentence has kinda a sumerized afterthought. I would have thought such activities would be beneath hackers and their abilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.