Hacks to turn Series 2 units into stand-alone DVR?

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Greetings,

I am wondering if there are hacks that can turn a Tivo2 into a stand alone
DVR? Since Sean thinks Tivo is going belly-up any minute now there should be
lots of T2 units available at local garage sales...LOL.

Any ideas?

Thanks
TC
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Tony Clark wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I am wondering if there are hacks that can turn a Tivo2 into a stand
alone
> DVR? Since Sean thinks Tivo is going belly-up any minute now there
should be
> lots of T2 units available at local garage sales...LOL.
>
> Any ideas?

I'm assuming you mean a stand alone DVR that doesn't require service?

Yes there are hacks but are not talked about since that is equivalent
to stealing service from TiVo and is greatly frowned upon. Although
there will probably be TiVo service for the next decade (regardless of
the lies Sean posts), if the TiVo service ever did disappear, the hacks
to get the TiVos to work without service would be made public.
 

Kenny

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
110
0
18,630
0
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

"Tony Clark" <curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:CINYd.7845$oO4.4448@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> Greetings,
>
> I am wondering if there are hacks that can turn a Tivo2 into a stand alone
> DVR?

If S2 Tivos are not already stand alone dvr's, what are they?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

"Kenny" <spcolor@animalation.com> wrote in message
news:39huo6F60coraU1@individual.net...
>
> "Tony Clark" <curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:CINYd.7845$oO4.4448@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I am wondering if there are hacks that can turn a Tivo2 into a stand
>> alone DVR?
>
> If S2 Tivos are not already stand alone dvr's, what are they?
>
>

Tivo 2 requires a Tivo service plan. In other words you cannot set the Tivo
to record channel 13 at 8pm on Monday evening without having a Tivo
subscription. At least that's the way I understand it.

Cheers
TC
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

<in2sheep@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1110682632.647909.36120@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
>
SNIP

>
> I'm assuming you mean a stand alone DVR that doesn't require service?
>
> Yes there are hacks but are not talked about since that is equivalent
> to stealing service from TiVo and is greatly frowned upon. Although
> there will probably be TiVo service for the next decade (regardless of
> the lies Sean posts), if the TiVo service ever did disappear, the hacks
> to get the TiVos to work without service would be made public.
>

Yes, I mean does not require service. I don't see how this is "stealing"
from Tivo however. All I want to do is to be able to set a time, date and
channel and record a program. All manually. After all I do own the hardware.
I have no complaints with Tivo, but that doesn't mean I will always use the
service. I may even upgrade the hardware down the road when Tivo HD becomes
more cost effective but I might want to use the old box as a stand-alone
device.

Cheers
TC
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Tony Clark wrote:
>
> Yes, I mean does not require service. I don't see how this is
"stealing"
> from Tivo however. All I want to do is to be able to set a time, date
and
> channel and record a program. All manually. After all I do own the
hardware.
> I have no complaints with Tivo, but that doesn't mean I will always
use the
> service. I may even upgrade the hardware down the road when Tivo HD
becomes
> more cost effective but I might want to use the old box as a
stand-alone
> device.

You bought the hardware, which is yours to do as you please. If you
want to use the OS and apps currently installed on that hardware as a
DVR however, you need service.

http://customersupport.tivo.com/knowbase/root/public/tv1218.htm?

If you want to put your own OS on the hardware, you can, but you have
to pay for service to use what is currently there. Those are just the
rules for the item you purchased. Trying to circumvent this rule from
TiVo is equivalent to theft of service since it's the capability to
record shows (among other things) that is what the TiVo service
provides.
 

Sean

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
503
0
18,930
0
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 06:00:24 GMT, "Tony Clark"
<curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote:

>
>"Kenny" <spcolor@animalation.com> wrote in message
>news:39huo6F60coraU1@individual.net...
>>
>> "Tony Clark" <curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:CINYd.7845$oO4.4448@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>>> Greetings,
>>>
>>> I am wondering if there are hacks that can turn a Tivo2 into a stand
>>> alone DVR?
>>
>> If S2 Tivos are not already stand alone dvr's, what are they?
>>
>>
>
>Tivo 2 requires a Tivo service plan. In other words you cannot set the Tivo
>to record channel 13 at 8pm on Monday evening without having a Tivo
>subscription. At least that's the way I understand it.
>
>Cheers
>TC
>

Just another way Tivo's screws it's customers.

Sean
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 10:13:18 -0500, Sean wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 06:00:24 GMT, "Tony Clark"
> <curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Tivo 2 requires a Tivo service plan. In other words you cannot set the Tivo
>>to record channel 13 at 8pm on Monday evening without having a Tivo
>>subscription. At least that's the way I understand it.
>
> Just another way Tivo's screws it's customers.

ROFL

What can you do with your Cable Co.'s DVR without a subscription?

Is your precious cable company screwing it's customers too, since you
can't even keep the box without a subscription?

Hell the minute you cancel, you probably lose access to the box.

--
Lenroc
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 06:23:31 +0000, Tony Clark wrote:

> All I want to do is to be able to set a time, date and
> channel and record a program.

So buy a VCR, or a TV tuner for your PC, or a Series 1 TiVo, etc.

--
Lenroc
 

Sean

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
503
0
18,930
0
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 12:34:40 -0700, Lenroc
<lenroc@NOSPAMFORYOU.hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 10:13:18 -0500, Sean wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 06:00:24 GMT, "Tony Clark"
>> <curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Tivo 2 requires a Tivo service plan. In other words you cannot set the Tivo
>>>to record channel 13 at 8pm on Monday evening without having a Tivo
>>>subscription. At least that's the way I understand it.
>>
>> Just another way Tivo's screws it's customers.
>
>ROFL
>
>What can you do with your Cable Co.'s DVR without a subscription?
>
>Is your precious cable company screwing it's customers too, since you
>can't even keep the box without a subscription?
>
>Hell the minute you cancel, you probably lose access to the box.


And the minute yout tivo shits the bed you're screwed out of your
"lifetime" subscription.

I can drop an anvil on my cable dvr and have it replaced for free.

Sean
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 22:36:27 -0500, Sean wrote:

> I can drop an anvil on my cable dvr and have it replaced for free.

Bullshit. You break it, you've bought it.

If it breaks by itself, _that's_ when you get a free replacement. Try
_reading_ before you sign on the dotted line next time.

--
Lenroc
 

Kenny

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
110
0
18,630
0
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

"Tony Clark" <curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:YFQYd.7969$oO4.7063@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>
> "Kenny" <spcolor@animalation.com> wrote in message
> news:39huo6F60coraU1@individual.net...
>>
>> "Tony Clark" <curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:CINYd.7845$oO4.4448@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>>> Greetings,
>>>
>>> I am wondering if there are hacks that can turn a Tivo2 into a stand
>>> alone DVR?
>>
>> If S2 Tivos are not already stand alone dvr's, what are they?
>>
>>
>
> Tivo 2 requires a Tivo service plan. In other words you cannot set the
> Tivo to record channel 13 at 8pm on Monday evening without having a Tivo
> subscription. At least that's the way I understand it.
>
> Cheers
> TC
>

You are correct, except that what you say has absolutely nothing to do with
what a 'stand alone' Tivo dvr is.
'Stand alone' means that the Tivo is not incorporated into another type of
device such as a Directv reciever or a DVD player/recorder.
The series 2 Tivo is a stand alone Tivo dvr. The fact that a sub. is
required does not change that fact in any way.
 

sinner

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
481
0
18,930
0
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

* Kenny Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
>
> "Tony Clark" <curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:YFQYd.7969$oO4.7063@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>>
>> "Kenny" <spcolor@animalation.com> wrote in message
>> news:39huo6F60coraU1@individual.net...
>>>
>>> "Tony Clark" <curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> news:CINYd.7845$oO4.4448@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>>>> Greetings,
>>>>
>>>> I am wondering if there are hacks that can turn a Tivo2 into a
>>>> stand alone DVR?
>>>
>>> If S2 Tivos are not already stand alone dvr's, what are they?
>>
>> Tivo 2 requires a Tivo service plan. In other words you cannot
>> set the Tivo to record channel 13 at 8pm on Monday evening
>> without having a Tivo subscription. At least that's the way I
>> understand it.
>>
>
> You are correct, except that what you say has absolutely nothing
> to do with what a 'stand alone' Tivo dvr is.

Except that in the context of the OP's question SA does not refer to
the Tivo definition of SA, rather just the ability to use it as a DVR
without a subscription.

> 'Stand alone' means that the Tivo is not incorporated into another
> type of device such as a Directv reciever or a DVD
> player/recorder. The series 2 Tivo is a stand alone Tivo dvr.

Again, in the context of the OP's question this seems incorrect.

> The
> fact that a sub. is required does not change that fact in any way.

Well, FWIW, a SUB is NOT required on an SA series 1 Tivo

--
David
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 18:38:19 +0000, SINNER wrote:

> Except that in the context of the OP's question SA does not refer to
> the Tivo definition of SA, rather just the ability to use it as a DVR
> without a subscription.

Right. In this group, the OP's comments were ambiguous, and somewhat
misleading, but not _wrong_.

"Standalone" doens't mean "non-DirecTV" in the "real world", only in the
TiVo-verse ;)

Posting in this NG doesn't automatically mean that someone knows all the
jargon.

--
Lenroc
 

Kenny

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
110
0
18,630
0
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

"SINNER" <arcade.master@googlemail.net> wrote in message
news:Xns961980911B92FLouiscypherhellorg@140.99.99.130...
>* Kenny Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
>>
>> "Tony Clark" <curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:YFQYd.7969$oO4.7063@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>>>
>>> "Kenny" <spcolor@animalation.com> wrote in message
>>> news:39huo6F60coraU1@individual.net...
>>>>
>>>> "Tony Clark" <curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>> news:CINYd.7845$oO4.4448@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>>>>> Greetings,
>>>>>
>>>>> I am wondering if there are hacks that can turn a Tivo2 into a
>>>>> stand alone DVR?
>>>>
>>>> If S2 Tivos are not already stand alone dvr's, what are they?
>>>
>>> Tivo 2 requires a Tivo service plan. In other words you cannot
>>> set the Tivo to record channel 13 at 8pm on Monday evening
>>> without having a Tivo subscription. At least that's the way I
>>> understand it.
>>>
>>
>> You are correct, except that what you say has absolutely nothing
>> to do with what a 'stand alone' Tivo dvr is.
>
> Except that in the context of the OP's question SA does not refer to
> the Tivo definition of SA, rather just the ability to use it as a DVR
> without a subscription.
>

Making up your own defintion does not make it so.


>> 'Stand alone' means that the Tivo is not incorporated into another
>> type of device such as a Directv reciever or a DVD
>> player/recorder. The series 2 Tivo is a stand alone Tivo dvr.
>
> Again, in the context of the OP's question this seems incorrect.
>

So as long as you think you know what you're talking about, you actually do?



>> The
>> fact that a sub. is required does not change that fact in any way.
>
> Well, FWIW, a SUB is NOT required on an SA series 1 Tivo
>

That's very nice of you to bring up, but who the &%$# is discussing S1
units?
 

sinner

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
481
0
18,930
0
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

* Kenny wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:

> "SINNER" <arcade.master@googlemail.net> wrote in message
> news:Xns961980911B92FLouiscypherhellorg@140.99.99.130...

>>> You are correct, except that what you say has absolutely nothing
>>> to do with what a 'stand alone' Tivo dvr is.

>> Except that in the context of the OP's question SA does not refer to
>> the Tivo definition of SA, rather just the ability to use it as a DVR
>> without a subscription.

> Making up your own defintion does not make it so.

Its not about definitions, its about context. The TIVO Definition of SA
is not the gospel.

>>> 'Stand alone' means that the Tivo is not incorporated into another
>>> type of device such as a Directv reciever or a DVD
>>> player/recorder. The series 2 Tivo is a stand alone Tivo dvr.

>> Again, in the context of the OP's question this seems incorrect.

> So as long as you think you know what you're talking about, you actually do?

What?

>>> The
>>> fact that a sub. is required does not change that fact in any way.

>> Well, FWIW, a SUB is NOT required on an SA series 1 Tivo

> That's very nice of you to bring up, but who the &%$# is discussing S1
> units?

We are discussing unsubbed Tivo's and since that is the only legal
option it is certainly relavant in this conversation.

--
David
Let us treat men and women well;
Treat them as if they were real;
Perhaps they are.
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson
 

Kenny

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
110
0
18,630
0
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

"SINNER" <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote in message
news:4hphg2xqpe.ln2@news.gates_of_hell.com...
>>>> The
>>>> fact that a sub. is required does not change that fact in any way.
>
>>> Well, FWIW, a SUB is NOT required on an SA series 1 Tivo
>
>> That's very nice of you to bring up, but who the &%$# is discussing S1
>> units?
>
> We are discussing unsubbed Tivo's


Really? since when? and to think that all this time I thought the topic
here was about S2 Tivos and using them without a subscrption.

> and since that is the only legal
> option it is certainly relavant in this conversation.

No, it's currently one of a few practical alternatives.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Kenny wrote:
> If S2 Tivos are not already stand alone dvr's, what are they?

Glorified doorstops if Tivo ever goes out of business.

-Eric
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 08:44:02 -0800, elrous0 wrote:

> Kenny wrote:
>> If S2 Tivos are not already stand alone dvr's, what are they?
>
> Glorified doorstops if Tivo ever goes out of business.

People already know how to roll their own guide data to upload to a stock
TiVo. These techniques will likely become much more widespread if the TiVo
service ever ceases to be offered, a contingency which is highly unlikely
in the first place.

--
Lenroc
 

sinner

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
481
0
18,930
0
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

* Kenny wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:

> "SINNER" <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote in message
> news:4hphg2xqpe.ln2@news.gates_of_hell.com...
>>>>> The
>>>>> fact that a sub. is required does not change that fact in any way.

>>>> Well, FWIW, a SUB is NOT required on an SA series 1 Tivo

>>> That's very nice of you to bring up, but who the &%$# is discussing S1
>>> units?

>> We are discussing unsubbed Tivo's


> Really? since when? and to think that all this time I thought the topic
> here was about S2 Tivos and using them without a subscrption.

Please explain to me how the above two statements are different.

Mine says "We are discussing unsubbed Tivos"

And yours says we are discussing S2 Tivos without a sub.

>> and since that is the only legal
>> option it is certainly relavant in this conversation.

> No, it's currently one of a few practical alternatives.

No, its the ONLY legal way to use a TIVO without a sub and by your own
admission, that is what we are discussing.

--
David
The college graduate is presented with a sheepskin to cover his
intellectual nakedness.
-- Robert M. Hutchins
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Streaming Video & TVs 1
Paul Wagenseil Streaming Video & TVs 9
G Streaming Video & TVs 0
G Streaming Video & TVs 0
G Streaming Video & TVs 0
G Streaming Video & TVs 0
G Streaming Video & TVs 0
G Streaming Video & TVs 0
I Streaming Video & TVs 7
G Streaming Video & TVs 0
G Streaming Video & TVs 1
G Streaming Video & TVs 5
G Streaming Video & TVs 16
G Streaming Video & TVs 2
G Streaming Video & TVs 4
G Streaming Video & TVs 9
G Streaming Video & TVs 3
J Streaming Video & TVs 1
C Streaming Video & TVs 6
G Streaming Video & TVs 64

ASK THE COMMUNITY