Have Sony Vaio model SVF15AC1QL when powered on would lite power led and fan would come on but screen stays black

Michael Seybold

Prominent
Jun 14, 2017
Laptop was put away new two years ago when turned back on took couple try's before screen lit up then only for a brief moment after that would only turn on for few seconds led power lite would come on and fan could be heard but no screen befor shutting down was told by Best Buy that battery was bad from sitting so long so replaced battery now when plugged in charging light comes on but remains yellow even after all night charging when I power up power light comes on battery light continues to blink yellow fan runs but still no screen .. Tried the following battery only , charger only with battery removed, hdmi cord to my tv , still black screen , is it possible that my charger is bad and that's why charging light never changes from yellow and battery lite blinks yellow or is it something else please help just to be clear no sure I explained since new battery does not turn off right away just screen stays black power light on fan on battery light blinks yellow and if plugged in charging light stays yellow

Solution
Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.
Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

Solution